Wild Tropicals

Not all of them. I know at the least clown fish are heavily bred for commercial sale, and there's a few others that are bred commercially. But it's a pretty short list, regardless, and as far as I know, coral is all taken from the wild, or at best case from artificial reefs.
 
Not all of them. I know at the least clown fish are heavily bred for commercial sale, and there's a few others that are bred commercially. But it's a pretty short list, regardless, and as far as I know, coral is all taken from the wild, or at best case from artificial reefs.

thanks Corleone, i was unaware of that. Coral, perhaps, illustrates the point best of all!
 
thanks for that about the clown loaches i was wondering about that a few days ago, as they are unheard of breeding in the aquarium, feel a bit guilty now tho as i have 4 of these beautiful fish in a glass box :(
There has been a spawning, I remember seeing it on the PFK website a while back.

EDIT: Found it - [URL="http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1633"]http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1633[/URL]



OMG that is just WOW , but its a shame that the breeder had to use an artifical method. those babies are teeny and soo cute, hope they have a good life xx
 
thanks Corleone, i was unaware of that. Coral, perhaps, illustrates the point best of all!

I just came across a site that contradicted what I originally said. Apparently there are some commercially grown corals, but not many, and the supply can't keep up with demand.
 
Most Clown Loach in the trade are farmed. They aren't difficult to do commercially; you just add Hormones :shifty: Seriously though, they add bottles of hormones to the ponds with the parent fish, allow them time to spawn and then pull them out in readyness to reah fry.... The same is done with the Weneri (spelling) rainbows, and hence why you only see male Weneri these days.... Different hormones give trend towards the majority of the fry being one sex :good: Neons are also commercially bread, though not as much. There are times when Wild neons are hard to get and commercial stocks become a better option, but for the most part, autunm, winter and some spring stocks in the UK are wild caught, as this is when their wild habitat is easily accessible :nod: Similar hings go on with gouramis also, as they are often wild stocks. It also explains occasional price shifting...

HTH
Rabbut
 

Most reactions

Back
Top