Wild Simplex spawn attempt take 2

Meh, not much to update here because I backed out . This substrate is just not what I had in mind, it blows around a bit and clogs the filter...
I wanted something different, just not sure what so I'm going to ponder on it for a few days, tear down that tank and start over.

Maybe put a layer of gravel on top of the fiber? To weigh it down adn keep it from blowing around.

Maybe you could try a leaf substrate? It should release tannins as well...

HomerJig.gif

I dunno, SRC. This stuff is really buoyant. I'm thinking that I want something mossy. There's this guy I know in Dallas and his betta tanks have a thick moss type substrate, maybe I'll get ahold of him since we have nothing as far as live plant sales go around here.

Synirr~ I don't have any good leaves :( Maybe I should order some IAL. I'm too scared to use the oak from my backyard..we live close to the airport and planes pass over all day, when I water the yard I often get a weird,white film :crazy:

lol ok...maybe you could get some window/porch screen put on top of the fiber..then put gravel over it lol. But I duno how mch trouble you wanna go to :lol:

That's a possibility :nod:

Maaaan, I was just doing wc's on the big tanks in the fishroom. I got to the orange plakat/green tank and all heck broke loose. Last night I noticed a male with a superb bubble nest, but he was being a butthead so I casually stuck my hand in and destroyed it as I walked by, he was heartbroken. Gah, I just found it rebuilt with a ton of eggs :X
The nest was stuck to the side of the glass as the water drained and I swiped it off with my hand, it wasn't until I noticed the "bubbles" weren't popping that I realized they were eggs.
So I chunked him and what's left of the eggs into a kritter keeper. Nothing else I can do. I don't exactly want fry from an orange and a green :crazy: (Although that's where they came from :lol: )
Funny how the fish I WANT to spawn give me a hard time, and the fish I don't want to spawn are more than willing..

Guess this means my purple/black plakat baby boy is ready for love too :whistle:

There is no emoticon to express my utter shock, BRF's.

It's a Jebo filter, they came with those little Jebo cube 5 gallons I use to spawn.

Wait wait, I missed something... you have random eggs?? I'm guessing this is in a growout tank? Too funny :lol:
You never know, those orange/green babies might be the prettiest things you've ever seen! :whistle:

Yes :*)
I put most of the eggs with him, and then he ate them. About 5 or 6 were stuck to the sides of the jar I originally scooped them out with, I see that they've hatched IN the jar and I have about half a dozen fry hanging there now ^_^

By the way, it's raining and I'm going to set up a new simplex spawn tank, willy-nilly style.

good luck kelly, i just got my replacement female and pair of juvies today.
gerald informed me that my male may not be eating because he has an extremely small spawn in his mouth so thats what im hoping for.

Good luck!

Awesome! Congrats, I'm sure they're beautiful. And I also hope your male is holding :*) :hyper: :*)

I think I'm going to run out and by a tub for my simplex....this way I can just cover them up, stick them down by the window and leave them alone.

lol thats actually a good idea. they will prolly spawn that way, they dont like being looked at as i think thats why my male usually swallowed and also because they were in a highly used area.
good luck!

Thanks, we'll need it.

I just set them up in a tub. I wanted to use that filter and it did work when I tilted it at an angle, but it made that entire shelf vibrate and I don't imagine they would find the gentle humm of electronic devices comforting -_- So I used a sponge filter instead. Bah!
I could kick myself for not browsing the filter selection at the cichlid convention a bit more this past weekend. I attempted to bid on a couple small filters, but I gave up easily because I thought I didn't really need them. They had some awesome powerhead spongefilters for like a 10 gallon. That would have rocked.

The eggs hatched in the jar? That's too funny! :rofl:
They're too stubborn not to hatch

Good luck with the simplex!! Here's hopin' for babies! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back