Why My Sprout All Died?

dingweding

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i bought some flower seed and spread them in the pots. A few days late, there are many sprout. However, it is so slim and very long, so can not stand up porperly. Gradally all died. i tried a few time with different seeds. all same result.
Why is it? the room tempearture is too high? or ?

If the temperature is too warm then the plants will become leggy and wilt. The plant won't be very healthy and will have trouble standing without support.
It is possible to grow plants indoors but it's best to leave a window open so the temperature is not too warm. Alternatively, you could grow them in an outdoor greenhouse or cloche and they should be fine.
We have collapsible greenhouses that cost us about £20 each from a local store and they are great for plants.
What plants are you growing?

Is it possible there isn't enough light too? I have lost seedlings that way, they just keep climbing up and up as if they are growing from the forest floor to find a gap in the tree canopy, and finding nothing they keel over and die.

Sometimes light can effect plants too eg. not enough or too much.
We used to grow plants in our spare bedroom and left the lights off all day, they got a couple of hours of sun in the morning and that was all. It worked out ok but we did used to turn the pots around everyday. You' ll find they lean in the direction of the light but if you don't turn them, they will keep growing in one direction and become leggy. By turning the pots it strengthens up the stem and you should end up with a healthy plant.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The seeds i bought just normal basket flowers seed from garden center. i plant them in the pots near the windows, i tried a few times, most of them died in the first week after they germinate. I think the light is ok, because there are some house plants there for a few years now. Only the seed have problem, very very slim and long, can not stand up at all, i used to have a green house and plants the same seeds at that time, the sprout are much short and stronger.

i guess tempearture is a problem.

They can be affected if it's not the right time of year, but most plants that aren't in season might not grow at all.
When you propagate your seeds do you use the trays with the perspex lids? We found these to be better than just the tray alone. They maintain a certain temperature and also have sliding bits in the lid that you can open to prevent too much condensation. If you haven't got these lids then plastic bags work just as well but don't seal the bag tightly as no air will be able to get in.

i guess wrong season could be a reason, because i remembered i used to bring some flower seeds to my father in China, maybe the climate is different. We planted them outdoor, all the seeds germinate in a few days, but none of them made it, all died in 1 week. They have the same problem, very long slim, can not stand up.

Here in England, i did plant them in right season, but only spread them in the pots, no lids at all, give a little water and leave them alone, i guess maybe it is too close to the heater? i plants more than 100 seeds, different flowers, none made it

If they are too close to a heater then they will become leggy and die. Also some plants don't need really warm temperatures to germinate, they do just as well outdoors in a sheltered position. If your flower seeds are ones that require a warm temperature the you could either get a lid or use a bag as mentioned.
Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back