Why is my tank cloudy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Asteria

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've just come home and immediately noticed my tank is cloudy.
It was crystal clear yesterday.

On sunday i added two Sumo loach
And Monday i added a powerhead

Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm (comes out the tap at this)
Ammonia - 0ppm
pH - 7.6
High range pH - 7.4

What could be the issue?

Oops i forgot a few things xD
24.8°c
12 black neons
7 male guppies
125liters

It is most likely a bacteria bloom that typically clears up in a day or two. Do not feed for a day or two and see what happens.
The source water of 40ppm nitrates is a concern as you will never keep nitrates <=20ppm with source water nitrates that high. What are you using for weekly water changes?

(I pre-filter my well water for water changes through API Nitra-Zorb to remove nitrates.)

Last edited:
It is most likely a bacteria bloom that typically clears up in a day or two. Do not feed for a day or two and see what happens.
The source water of 40ppm nitrates is a concern as you will never keep nitrates <=20ppm with source water nitrates that high. What are you using for weekly water changes?

(I pre-filter my well water for water changes through API Nitra-Zorb to remove nitrates.)

I just have my tap water unfortunately.
Still working out a system where i can collect rain water. As my pH is also too high.
Nitrates have always been a problem for me in this area, all I've ever done is have a very heavily planted tank which has reduced the Nitrates.

When i have been able to collect rain water i have used it.

What would you recommend i use?

I pre-filter my well water through a now discontinued API Tap Water Filter that is filled with API Nitra-Zorb, followed by an inline activated carbon filter. I get about 200g before I recharge with a brine solution. It works well for me:
20171029_094343 - w.jpg

There are inline nitrate filters available, but there use life may be somewhat short and I was not able to successfully recharge. Depending on your filter, you may be able to use pouches of API Nitra-Zorb to lower tank nitrates. Great if you have a canister filter or an Aquaclear type HOB. It is rechargeable several times with salt water, making it fairly cost effective. It's use life is compromised as detritus coats the resin pellets so you want to place it last in the filter water flow following good/fine mechanical and/or biological filtration. You might use two pouches, one in the filter and another in recharge solution and to alternate every week or two.
Note: I am not affiliated with API and there are other de-nitrate resin products out there.

I once tried using rain water, but with acid rain (pollution) and and asphalt shingled roof, I found that the water was not suitable.
You might find an RO or RO/DI system that can work for you (I simply ruled it out in my case).

As you know, keeping tank nitrates low is also key. Good housekeeping along with plants will assist. Most plants prefer ammonia as their N2 source and this is good, but because of your source water nitrate issue, you will also want (especially floating) plants known to readily handle nitrates. Anacharis comes to mind, but there are others as well.

I hope this helps some. Good luck and keep posting.

Tank on,
-Mike

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all that.
We don't have well water here. It's all reservoir water. And in my area; because there is alot of farming the Nitrates are pretty high.
Also our roofs don't have asphalt so that's not an issue for me. I've also only ever used a small amount whilst doing water changes. As not to upset the pH too much and send the tank off on one.
I have thought about RO but these have short life spans too. I didnt really want ro spend alot of money on it. Which is why i went for rainwater.
I do have a canister filter and probably can do what your aforementioned. I do have some ceramic stuff in it actually, and have recently removed it to add sponge from another filter to helo cycle another tank.

Do you think this has done something do it? Upset my balance somehow.

I'll go read up on this API stuff and see what i can do :)

Also upon posting here my tank has cleared slightly

I did have a feeling it might be the loaches digging alot. As my sand is so fine when it clouds, the only way to clear it is turn all filter ect off

Well my tank has cleared today.
But i will definitely be getting some of that nitrzorb stuff

ALSO (doh) in another thread I posted about Algae scrubbers. I don't know yet from personal experience, but I'm reading that algae scrubbers can reduce nitrates and phosphates, so that may also be an option for you to get/keep tank nitrates low.

Most reactions

Back