Why Does My Platy Follow The Other?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SarahMarie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 male platys in my tank and have noticed the smaller one tends to follow the larger one around quite a lot, even though the bigger one sometimes chases him away. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this is? I'm curious :s

SarahMarie said:
I have 2 male platys in my tank and have noticed the smaller one tends to follow the larger one around quite a lot, even though the bigger one sometimes chases him away. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this is? I'm curious
wacko.png

The bigger one is probably a female and the smaller one is probably a male. The male is trying to breed with the female.

I'm sure they're both males, at least that's what I've been told. I'll attach a picture of them both so it's a bit easier. The white/orange is the bigger one. All orange is the smaller one. Thanks so much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 254
DerpPH said:

I have 2 male platys in my tank and have noticed the smaller one tends to follow the larger one around quite a lot, even though the bigger one sometimes chases him away. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this is? I'm curious
wacko.png

The bigger one is probably a female and the smaller one is probably a male. The male is trying to breed with the female.

No, they are both males, there was another thread which shows the two much better.

Platies are quite sociable fish, whilst they aren't a shoaling fish that needs to be in a large group, they do like company. The little one just wants to hang out with his mate.

They do this. They seem to bond together.  I used to have an inseparable pair of male platies, until I added females, then they started fighting. But there was another male they didn't quite accept regardless, and chased him away all the time, although he kept trying.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back