Why Do People Not Like Snails.

Gill

Store Manager Coalville Aquatics
Reaction score
do you love your shelled freinds.
I love mine, they are such a great addition to the overall benefit of the fish and tank.
I have:
Apple Snails,
Nerite Snails,
Spixi Snaills,
Horned Bumble Bee Snails,
Greater Rams Horn Snails,
Blue Rams Horns Snails,
Red Rams Horn Snails,
Brown Rams Horn Snails,
Malaysian Trumpet Snails,
And Pond/Pest Snails.

I never have a problem with the fish eating them, apart from the little baby snails. And i Feed the Clutches laid by the Aplles to them as treats.
I know people say that they have problems with the Nerites' Spixis' and BB Snails Eggs. But the Rams and Gobies take care of them, once laid they are venver there long.

My Apple snails do a great job of keeping the glass clean, so i never have to clean it.
Never really had any problems with algae in the tank as i always have the snails and shrimps munching on any take appears.
Never have problsems with the snails munching on the plants, as it is so Heavily Planted, that even if the eat a few it does not matter as they regrow quickly.

I like watching them curl round and grab hold of the floating riccia. and then they let go to drop to the bottom of the tank and munch on it.

If anything dies in the tank, i never remove it as the snails dipose of the remains quickly and effectively.
My Huge Pink Female Apple Snail who has laid so many clutches over the years Passed away a few weeks ago and the fish devoured her quickly. Was a little sad as had grown her from a tiny pea sized snail. But thats the natural Order. I have kept her shell as it is a nice one.
Other snails' shells make great great little hidey holes for fry and timider fish. Have often found fry lurking in them.

I am going to buy some more Apple snails soon as they are great additions to the tank and do a great job. I like the Pinks/Blues/Purple and Ivory Colors the most.

I love snails :D

ATM I have Zebra nerites and ramshorns. My lfs never sells snails :(

I love snails of all sorts. I have 3 species of apple snail at the moment, and am hoping too add another in the next couple of weeks. I dont see why they get so much bad press!
I also keep loads of giant african land snails who are that bit more fun because you can handle them.

I think it's because a lot of people think snail, and then think of munched plants and an uncontrollable population.

I must admit I LOVE my snail! I think I actually like him more than my fishes! I can't tell you how much time I have spent watching my snail.. LOL I am considering getting another one this week....

I dunno, I just don't like them, they are creepy! Just reading your lists of snails made my skin go all goosebumpy!

Marine snails I like; freshwater snails - no. I had nerite snails for a few months and then gave them away. It's just a preference for me; like people who don't like bettas.

I love snails but I think my dwarf puffers love them more :lol: I breed ramshorn and tadpole snails for puffer food :blush:

I'd really love to have a snail only tank, especially apple snails, not for puffer food obviously :D

Good that there are other Snail Lovers.

I think my favorite are the Horned Bumblebee snails.

i love giant african land snails xD i have two and they are my babies, they are only young, theyre adorable

I love snails, have malaysian trumpet snails and apple snails in my freshwater tanks did have some nerites a while back the best algae eaters imo and beautiful shells :) , also have super nassarius and trochus snails in my marine tank, apple snails are cool I love the way they enjoy playing in the flow of my filter by climbing up the side of the tank and then letting go so they are swept by the current :lol: they are also strangely drawn to bubble wands! I had a pomacea caniculata snail once that grew huge but I had to get rid as he loved eating my plants, should have researched first :X

I love snails, I have pink and blue ramshorns in my aquarium (and trumpet snails in the tanks at my other house).

However, I have had to be careful in choosing snails that won't damage my plants in certain tanks. It can be hit and miss, as my ramshorns seem to take a regular fancy for my java ferns of all things!

Most reactions

Back