Why bettas are so expensive?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I just went to my local fish store and found out one of the betta is 200 dollars!!!! and its the same color 2 dollars betta is.

It my be a show betta. On some sites white bettas can go for over $100. I didn’t pay near that. Saw one go for $300 but it was show quality. They issue points for tail/fin shape, body length, eye color, etc. Only breeders and show exhibitors care about that. I just want good genetics and a healthy betta.

The most expensive betta ever sold for just around $1,500 USD, here is a picture:
5123BCC7-114C-4AF4-B12B-F88317A8D04E.jpeg

That is crazy! I like bettas that are peaceful and fun. I especially like Dumbo Ear and Super Delta Tale bettas.

(Picture: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/the-worlds-most-expensive-betta-fish)

Beauty is only skin deep and beauty fades with time. $1500 for a Beta that will degrade within a year is ridiculously over priced. A $15 red petal beta from a local fish store is fine for me. And I would have $1485 left to spend on huge tanks and equipment and more fish, or else a good used car ;) that will last longer than the life of a Beta.

Last edited:
For a Betta Splendens I think £25 would be my limit and that would be for an absolutely stunning fish I really wanted and was probably going to attempt breeding with.
It could be worse, I've found a site claiming to be selling platinum arapaima in the UK at 50k each. Apparently they have a shop/show room so I will go and investigate but who has 50k to spend on a single fish?!

I personally won’t spend more than $20 on a betta. I am willing to spend that much because they have personality’s. They are also my favorite fish. :)

For a Betta Splendens I think £25 would be my limit and that would be for an absolutely stunning fish I really wanted and was probably going to attempt breeding with.
It could be worse, I've found a site claiming to be selling platinum arapaima in the UK at 50k each. Apparently they have a shop/show room so I will go and investigate but who has 50k to spend on a single fish?!
Arapaimas are very nice fish. It was probably caught wild. That’s where the $/£ start kicking in.

Arapaimas are stunning fish but I feel like a platinum one would be a captive bred strain rather than wild bred, I could be wrong. Still 50k, I would love to have enough money to be able to drop that on a fish plus the set up it would need.

Oh, makes sense. Golden Arowanas sell for a LOT of money as well.

At the local petco they must have a least 50 in small cups. They have different prices depending on color. They even have a color chart explaining the different color/type.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back