Why Are People So... ?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I hope the fish were killed quickly and humanely, at least
My stance on animal on animal rights/welfare best summed up by this Quote from a tv show called Saving Hope,
(although I wouldn't be surprised if it was paraphrased from something else):
"There is a difference between pain and suffering. Pain is in the body. Suffering is in the mind and it feels infinite."

How I apply this to animal welfare (Just my opinion) is:
Pain intensity and severity is completely and totally irrelevant to brain size and instead is directly related to number and sensitivity of pain sensing nerves in the affected area,  
(Much like a human would feel much more pain to a puncture on the eyelid than a proportionate sized one between the shoulder blades.)
However, an animals capacity to feel suffering from that pain or other negative stimuli/situations is directly related to an animal's cognitive IE thinking, ability. (basically the smarter the animal, the more suffering it experiences, although I think the animals that experience no suffering,  would make a very short list, indeed).

While there is no way to truly determine the exact level of an animal's ability to think, and thus capacity to suffer, IMO, if any animal has enough thinking ability to learn associate certain stimuli, that have nothing to do with food, with a source of food (IE the outline of a much larger, and thus potentially predatory fishkeeper, or the vibrations of an aquarium lid opening, which should normally be a cause for at least a little caution if they felt similar vibrations it in their natural habitat) then those animals have at least a very small capacity for some kind of suffering, and therefore deserve at least some consideration for humane treatment.

In this case, the worst part about it is:
They make fiberglass replicas so realistic now that in many cases, the replica looks better than the real (dead) animal!
http://www.permatrophy.com/replicas.php
With this, along with the "magic of Photoshop", or even one of the many high-quality FREE Photo editors
 https://www.gimp.org/
 There is no longer any excuse whatsoever to harm real animals for "art".

Ahem, sorry got a bit carried away there.
whistling.gif

Anyway, the bottom line is:
This "art" is simply done in order to cause controversy in the laziest possible way, and it's obvious the only "awareness" that this person wants to raise is cheap publicity while attempting to avoid breaking any actual laws.
In this way they are like like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum whenever they are not the center of attention, while at the same. time being careful to not go far enough to force their parents to finally take serious action.

Or, to put it another way,
Sometimes there is a fine line between "art" and "trolling"

Edit: Sorry, about the rant, but I'm just upset that these poor fish are being killed, just because somebody wants to be the center of attention.
rip.gif

I can't even bring myself to follow the link.  I think it'd make me too angry.

Personally I'm not a fan of what humanity does.  I think there's too many of us and that causes the problems to this planet.  Anyone killing an animal to highlight any cause at all is wrong beyond words.

Like I said nothing surprises me when it comes to what is considered art now days.

Tell me what's the difference between these 2 photos. Yes that's a dress made of meat.
kou44.jpg
janas.jpg

Disgusting....
Art isn't art any more, its a joke.

The two top pictures are just pointless, I can say this being a vegetarian, it is pointless in all manners, that meat and fish will be thrown away after, and for what?

nic1 said:
Disgusting....
Art isn't art any more, its a joke.

The two top pictures are just pointless, I can say this being a vegetarian, it is pointless in all manners, that meat and fish will be thrown away after, and for what?
I so agree, Vegetarian or not that is not art, Its less than pointless, But its the price we pay for free speech,

You guys think that's bad?? I read a story a few years back of an art museum in South America, where the artist brought in a stray dog off the street and tied it in a corner with an empty food bowl and just left it there to starve, and called it art. I was so infuriated. I don't remember whatever happened with it, but it was thoroughly disgusting. Art these days is basically just people desperate for their fifteen minutes of fame, for whatever reason.

Sawickib, I can attest that fish are intelligent creatures.  I recently acquired six silver mollies.  They were acquired on 12/26/15 and by the date I am replying to this(12/29/15), 4 of the six have begun to interact with me.  They have learned the cues I use at feeding time.  ​
The treatment by the artist was completely uncalled for.  The fish could easily have been treated fairly by a caring owner just like many on this forum.  The fish could not have chosen the path they had gone down but if they could have I would assume most would not have gone down that path.  People should do what is in the BEST interest of the fish!!!  I hope we can save other fish from this horrific act. 
Fish are not always treated fairly.  Just imagine, someone killing a cat and carrying it on their back.  Would the person be arrested/fined for that?  If the person was arrested/fined, why would they not be arrested/fined for killing the fish?

NickAu said:
Like I said nothing surprises me when it comes to what is considered art now days.

Tell me what's the difference between these 2 photos. Yes that's a dress made of meat.
kou44.jpg
janas.jpg
I suppose people view the meat dress differently as the primary reason for the animal's death was to make food, food which someone else (presumably) decided to use for another purpose. This new purpose is what caused it to be controversial. The fish is controversial from the start, as they were killed needlessly.

I am not a vegetarian but I would never kill an animal just to put it on someone's face, nor would I want to eat any animal that was killed cruelly. I also don't agree with the meat dress, but can't decide if that is because I find it morally wrong or if I am just upset at the waste of good steak...

You know, most of the meat that people eat in this day in age wasn't exactly killed cruelly, but the way that the animals are raised for meat is cruel. I don't understand when people are not willing to eat animals that where raised on a farm with plenty of room to graze, and died quick and painlessly, but then will eat eggs from chickens who live their entire lives in such close quarters that they can't stand up strait, or spread their wings out.

Most reactions

Back