Why Are Curviceps Cichlids Not More Popular ?

Zincubus

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just bought a beautiful pair of Curviceps cichlids and can't understand why they are not extremely popular .

They are dwarf cichlids and as such VERY attractive and interesting to watch.

They are so peaceful and gentle much calmer than my Rams or even Borelli cichlids.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_curviceps.php

PS They are kept in my community tank.
Any thoughts ??.
 
What else do you have in the community tank? They are beautiful, do you have any pictures of yours?
 
Plecs, Dwarf cichlids, Rainbows, Sparkling Gouramis etc etc
 
I don't know why they aren't popular. They never have been. They are just one of those fish people ignore. A bit like silvertip or glolight tetras. A few people keep them but most ignore them. I think it's because most people see young fish in a shop tank and the fish don't have gourdy colours and stand out like dogs balls. I'm sure if people saw adults in breeding dress they would be more appreciative.
 
I would put them in my 4ft which does have a fair few fake plants but no real ones as I am really not green fingered! Quite a few hiding places too. If I put in some more fake plants would I be OK? It's not fully stocked yet but am hoping to have a shoal of around 12 neon tetras, 2 kribs, 1 common pleco, 10 guppies, 6 kuhli loaches, 3 dwarf gouramis and 2 bristlenose plecos. Will they all get along?
 
they will be fine in a 4ft with a pr of kribs.

if you have a pleco and a pr of B/nose catfish you will need to supplement their diet. They will also make a real mess in the tank and you will need to gravel clean the tank every week.
You might be better off getting either the pleco or the pr of B/nose, not both.

Plastic plants are fine for creating territories and habitat.
 
Oh brilliant! well I already have the common pleco so i guess I will give the bristlenose a miss then. I think I will buy some curviceps then if I can find them in my area! I'll get a load more fake ferns, they look really nice and sway in the current :)
 
I really like the looks of the gibiceps but when I looked I couldn't find any. Ended up with rainbow cichlids instead, herotilapia multispinosa. They were easy for me to find because my son breeds them.
 
What other dwarf cichlids could I keep in my tank? If I know in advance what I can keep, I will know what to look for when i visit a fish farm this weekend.
 
you could try a pr of Apistogramma dwarf cichlids. A. cacatuoides should be fine with the kribs. Nannochromis nudiceps or transvestitus should be ok as well. Blue rams or bolivian rams should be ok to.

I wouldn't have too many types of cichlids in the tank otherwise their territories will start to overlap and squabbles might occur. 3 or 4 species would be enough for that size tank.
 
curviceps were one of the dwarf cichlids i considered for my 20 gallon tank, but being that i don't like selling fry and am already fully stocked, i've never bought any. maybe i will some day..
 

Most reactions

Back
Top