Whoops! Think I Got A Bit Carried Away!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Looking at your pieces of wood I imagine one scape and most would not agree. Those pieces of wood say to me something symmetrical shaping on a mound with simple planting.

People hate symmetry in this hobby but I quite like it.

I am thinking the substrate into a central mound. The 2 larger pieces 'semi' buried and pointing outward with the smaller piece in front 'just off centre' to please those who couldn't take too much symmetry.

Maybe 2 species of plant. Something like hairgrass covering the mound, nothing around the substrate perimeter to provide some contrast and something mid sized or long in the rear but only to the width of the 'points :)

Andy

Interesting idea Andy - will certainly look to see how the hardscape looks this evening like that. The Mrs is banning me from buying a whole new selection of plants at the moment, which leaves me with the plants I have...

I can see it working in my head with the plants that I have - looks like I know what I'm up to tonight.

I'll keep you posted - work beckons first unfortunately ;)

A couple of scapes I have looked at in the past year or 2 that sort of show what I mean about being quite symmetrical:

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aspiring-aquascapers/4405-nature-baby.html

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/1570-xmas-gift-200lt-rounded-stones.html

May seem like I am pushing this sort of hardscape option at the moment. Maybe I am but I think it can be very appealing.

Andy

I'm not keen on that last scape, it's tooooo symmetrical IMO, the plants look odd as well. Ed's, scape is fantastic though, his is less symmetrical, in that the rock arrangement isn't. I'm all for symmetry in a planted scape, as are the UK's best scapers. George Farmer will often talk about the way he like symmetry in a scape.

I think Andy is onto something with Ed's scape, you could achieve something like this, with those bit of wood. Remember to mound the substrate and stand back and look at the scape from the front, rather than from the top. Keep us updated Chris!

Thanks for the links Andy, can see what you mean better now. I certainly prefer the first scape, I dunno, I seem to prefer wood as the main hardscape in my tanks.

I think it is certainly achievable.

My problem though is that I am on a ban for spending on my fish tanks at the moment (bought 2 new ones in the past couple of months... Ooops!)

Do you guys think something like that would work with...

Swords / a. Natans at the back around the hardscape
Crypts around the hardscape
Anubias / Java Moss on the hardscape
Ozelot / Red Rubens just on the outskirts?

Would like to try and use existing plants if poss...

Really appreciate the input from everyone, thanks all it's really helping

I'm not keen on that last scape, it's tooooo symmetrical IMO, the plants look odd as well. Ed's, scape is fantastic though, his is less symmetrical, in that the rock arrangement isn't. I'm all for symmetry in a planted scape, as are the UK's best scapers. George Farmer will often talk about the way he like symmetry in a scape.

I think Andy is onto something with Ed's scape, you could achieve something like this, with those bit of wood. Remember to mound the substrate and stand back and look at the scape from the front, rather than from the top. Keep us updated Chris!
I concur - the first scape is just fabulous, but the second one does not appeal at all...

I definitely think you could do something like that with those bits of wood you have Chris - perhaps bag the fish up tomorrow and spend some time moving stuff around.

I concur - the first scape is just fabulous, but the second one does not appeal at all...

I definitely think you could do something like that with those bits of wood you have Chris - perhaps bag the fish up tomorrow and spend some time moving stuff around.

I was using those 2 as a way of showing what I mean by symmetrical. With the second I like it more before the plants go in :) I personally think the first is more symmetrical than the second one :) Neither perfectly symmetrical as using natural pieces that is almost impossible to do without using tools to shape them :)

As for the plant choices of course the plants you have will be fine. Its not cbout looking at those pics and saying I'm going to do that and geting the same plants in. Its about seeing something. Liking the idea. Using it's influence and seeing what you can do with what you have :)

So have a play and photograph the hardscape. Put the picture in Paint/photoshop. Then chop some of each of the plants you have from a picture of your current tank and paste them into the hardscape. See what you can come up with.

Its not all about hands on here. Hardscape is better to do in the real but you can often get more out of the copy/paste method because you can do it without messing anything around too much.

I probs already saif it above but I think the appeal of both is the bare substrate around the edge with the planted band and the hardscape coming through it. The contrasts. It's almost a horizontal frame of the scape within the frame of the tank. A little like the 'japanese bowl within a tank' style.

Andy

Sorry Andy it wasn't a dig. I got the point if your post, I was just saying I didn't like the second one.

No probs. I didn't take it as a dig. Thats what art (or 'art' for those who think it isn't art. lol) is all about some likey. some don't likey. Personal choice :)

When the second one was first shown I loved it. Was one of the best scapes I had seen :) I think then my taste has moved significantly and so has the hobby really so it doesn't really appeal to me as much as it did however I still like it.

Andy

to be honest, i remember seeing this scape, at you house. I also thought is was great. Looking at it now, i feel different. Personally, i think he should stick to his tree scapes!

Ok, I have been fiddling with my wood this morning! Just rinsing out some gravel to mound up in the middle... What you think of hardscape placement, is my favourite of all positions so far...

P1020633.jpg

The main concerns I have with this scape is that my pipework is going to be completely visible...

Ok, so after a bit of tinkering, changing my mind, tinkering again, changing my mind again, fingers turning into prunes... I think I'm happy...

Apologies for the quality of the shot, will get the SLR out at some point, just wanted to get a couple of quick snaps up so you guys can see.

Full tank shot:

P1020637.jpg

Closer shot of the middle:

P1020640.jpg

Think it needs to settle down a little bit, but i can say that I certainly do enjoy looking at it from the sofa and the fish are being really enquisive investigating all aspects.

So, what do you guys (and gals) think?

*claps* well done Chris, that looks brilliant! I for one am impressed with this scape. You have done the thing that, your eyes are immediately drawn to the scape rather than the equipment. You really don't notice it!

:good:

*claps* well done Chris, that looks brilliant! I for one am impressed with this scape. You have done the thing that, your eyes are immediately drawn to the scape rather than the equipment. You really don't notice it!

Thanks Ian, really appreciate the comment - I am really happy how it has turned out. I need to take a few shots from different angles as there is quite a bit going on in the scape. Comparing the photos to real life, it looks quite flat, but when you walk round the tank there is something else that draws your eye.

I'll try and take some more photos tomorrow to try and show what i mean - just noticed the gravel looks flat, and its actually a nice mound!

I just wanted to thank you all (especially Ian and Andy) for giving me the inspiration for this tank, as without it, i think i'd still have an empty tank right now!

I'm speechless. Didn't think you would end up with it looking that good. Goes to show it doesn't cost much to scape. The same gravel and the same wood and you have a completely different look :)

With the equipment there is a trade off really.

Many of those scapes we marvel at and rank high in competitions have all the equipment on view. Just not in the photos that they publish/enter into the competitions.

The trade off is if you want the whole aesthetic as in a continual display. i.e. as a centrepiece in your lounge rather than just being the scape, the whole tank and cabinet etc are a display then you add the glass pipes etc in there. Thats a trade off because they do cost £.

Great work there. Looks very natural too. Fish look wicked 'circling' above it.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back