Who said assassin snails won't eat my shrimp??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Calistmo

Reaction score
Saw one of my shrimp acting funny, thought it was about to molt. Literally 2 minutes later I found this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210205-231536.png
    Screenshot_20210205-231536.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
Sad thing is, I bought this snail to help keep the other snails population in check. I've never actually seen it on another snail

That’s weird, I’ve never heard that before. :(

We do learn from our mistakes, so now everyone knows...

If they can CATCH shrimp, yes, they'll eat them....sounds like this shrimp was in distress, and easy prey...or already dead
Assassins will eat anything that has died, other snails, shrimp, and fish

That’s weird, I’ve never heard that before. :(

We do learn from our mistakes, so now everyone knows...
When I was deciding on whether or not to buy my assassin snails, I read that they eat shrimp. I made a mental note not to put any in my shrimp tank. Lol

They aren't fast enough to "catch" shrimp, but WILL eat them if they run across one that is already dead, or having trouble with mobility, for whatever reason.

I keep assassins with shrimp in 2 different tanks, with minimal issues....it's worth it, IMO, to keep pest snails under control.

They aren't fast enough to "catch" shrimp, but WILL eat them if they run across one that is already dead, or having trouble with mobility, for whatever reason.

I keep assassins with shrimp in 2 different tanks, with minimal issues....it's worth it, IMO, to keep pest snails under control.
I agree man. If my cherry shrimp are able to swim my Betta, then they sure will be able to out swim a snail.

Just like Plecos: They won’t eat live fish, but they will eat dead fish.

ok so, assassin snails only eat dying or sick shrimp or shrimp that are dumb and would not survive in nature anyways and if you have not seen them on a snail it is because they are doing their jobs and also because they hunt at night, the only time I have seen them hunting snails is at 3 AM. So the snail is doing you a favour by removing a sick/old/dumb shrimp

Assassins also burrow into substrate, you may not see them all the time...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back