White Spots Doubt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

schattengestalt

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, here I come again with my dearest Schatten. I just noticed he is with two white spots on his head, a very small one and another bigger under the first. I read some info and I was thinking if it would be fungus or something, if he maybe hurt himself on the rocks in the bottom of the tank... I don't know. I see you suggest to use salt, in these cases, but I would like to make sure it's fungus. I already changed the water again (I had changed it for the last time on Saturday and I do this once per week). The tank has 2L and I don't cycle it nor use heater because here the weather is very warm.

He is acting normal. Eating well, maybe too sleepy, but this has been happening for a long time... not really something I would classify as something related to a disease. Also I read that bettas sleep a lot, so I don't think this is wrong, in the end. And as you can see in the picture, his colors are good. He's always at the top of the tank.

Could you please guys help me? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1479631_721092534567912_920646159_n.jpg
    1479631_721092534567912_920646159_n.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 125
Its hard to tell from the picture, but do the spots look fuzzy or velvety? If not then it is more than likely not a fungus. Keep an eye on it for spreading and keep an eye on fishies behavior. It could be the pigment of the fish.

Is his tank only 2L? If so, he needs a larger tank, at least 20L, with a heater and filter. 
Until you get a bigger tank, you need to be doing 50% water changes daily with dechlorinated and temperature matched water. You need to do these frequent water changes because in a 2L tank ammonia builds up quickly and can kill your betta.

When kept in the proper conditions, bettas are active fish. 
The fact that yours isn't very active indicates poor water quality, another reason is that he probably doesn't have very much room to move around. 
If you get him a bigger tank, I promise you, you will see a big difference in his activity levels.

The spots look like they might be ICH. How long ago did they begin to appear?

SimpleDog said:
Its hard to tell from the picture, but do the spots look fuzzy or velvety? If not then it is more than likely not a fungus. Keep an eye on it for spreading and keep an eye on fishies behavior. It could be the pigment of the fish.

Hi, SimpleDog. Thanks for the answer. It's very hard to see, because the fish is very small... did you click on the thumbnail? Then the picture gets bigger... but unfortunately it has some texture... I don't believe it's his pigment, because it's very different from his body and it's like wart or something. As I read, fungus can look like cotton and this does look like, so I think it is... I took more pictures using my camera, but I don't have macro lenses, so this is the best I can do for now...

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1066/oofx.jpg

How much time would you recommend me to wait?

Blondielovesfish said:
Is his tank only 2L? If so, he needs a larger tank, at least 20L, with a heater and filter. 
Until you get a bigger tank, you need to be doing 50% water changes daily with dechlorinated and temperature matched water. You need to do these frequent water changes because in a 2L tank ammonia builds up quickly and can kill your betta.

When kept in the proper conditions, bettas are active fish. 
The fact that yours isn't very active indicates poor water quality, another reason is that he probably doesn't have very much room to move around. 
If you get him a bigger tank, I promise you, you will see a big difference in his activity levels.

The spots look like they might be ICH. How long ago did they begin to appear?

Thanks for your comment, Blondielovesfish! I remember of you from the last time. Schatten recovered very well from the his torn fin, but he torned it again later hahaha... I'm not able to have a bigger tank 20L, but I will be changing his water daily from now on.

I don't believe it's ICH, because according to the pictures I see, they look very tiny and bright white dots that pop all around the body, like freckles... and on Schatten it has texture, it's almost like I can take it away with my fingernail. It just appeared today. I believe it's fungus because it looks soft like mold, in a way, I guess...

Thats good that his fin healed, a shame it happened again! Do you have any idea on what he teared it on?

I've never personally dealed with ICH (touch wood I never do) but I see it often described as salt particles, does it look like this to you?

I have no idea what happened. Maybe he swimmed across the stones too fastly and then it happened. His fin is too thin and soft, so it happens too easily.

I don't think it looks like salt, because it's really soft, like cotton. Talking about salt, I read about adding table salt to the tank in order to kill the fungus... would you recommend doing it?

I would definately treat with a mild antifungal then. if its cottony then it is probably a fungus. Youwant to treat that before the spots get bigger. I wish I could recommend a good antifungul, but I have been lucky enough to not need it.

I'm taking him a salt bath right now. Put three sugar spoons of table salt on 1 L of water and will keep him for a while here before putting him back in his tank. Tomorrow I will search for an antifungal too, but I saw some people that didn't even need any remedy too... I will keep an eye anyway.

Good news. I finished the salt bath and it looks like the "cotton ball" fell down and now it's looking like his "cheek" is dirty in soft white yet. I will change part of his water again tomorrow and give him another salt bath until it goes away.

Keep it up. I hope your fish gets cured soon.

I notice you said you do not use a filter or heater. HOw often are you changing the water or checking the water parameters?

I change the water just once per week and I don't check the water parameters, because I don't have the items for that. I really should buy them after this event and start changing the water more frequently :(

I would definately do that. You may be encountering small ammonia spikes between water changes that are affected the betta beahavior. You need to filter the tank, or do more frequent water changes 

I just recognize that Schatten sometimes falls to the bottom of the tank suddenly and I thought it might has something to do with the quality of the water. Like he had lost the equilibrium or something. He now likes to sleep like dropped dead hahaha... he didn't do that before... it's funny because that's scary and sometimes I feel like waking him up just to check if he is alive. But I think changing the water more often will definitely make him more active and healthy too. Thanks for the help!

Anytime. I hope that you are able to figure it out and get im healthy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back