White Spot Problems

scott133

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have had a bad daytoday i have came home from work and my oldest marine tank has been set up for 6 years which is 350g and never had white spot in this tank and not added any new fish for 2 years the water quality is the same as it has always been

yellow tang
2 clown fish
regal tang
sailfin tang
royal grammer
are all covered in marine white spot

the fish that are ok is
8 lyertail anthias
scooter blenny
5 chromis
2 pink fire fish
leapord wrasse
6 line wrasse
all the fish were fine last night

edit turnig into an anemone tank

dose any one know why this would be

and what could i treat my fish with and it is a kind of a reef tank it is all mushroom corals that have all spread over all the rocks

what could of caused the white spot

and should i give them all a freshwater dip

Are you sure it's whitespot/ Oodinium and not just excess mucous?

Generally whitespot needs to be introduced into the tank with a contaminated fish, water, coral or invert. Have you added any new corals or crustaceans or live rock? Have you got whitespot in any other tank and transferred it over accidentally during feeding?

There is a form of Oodinium that can hang around dormant in a tank but becomes active when fish are added. So if you have had fish in the tank for the last 6 years it won't be that form.

The easiest way to treat them is to move them all into a quarantine tank and medicate with copper. A couple of weeks without fish in the tank will kill off the whitespot parasites.
The other way to treat them is to put the fish into a tank or container. Each day you move the fish into a clean container with new clean seawater. Do this each day for a week and you end up with disease free fish.

Shrimp, crabs and other inverts can stay in the tank and won't be affected by the whitespot parasite.

Freshwater dips don't do much.

HI colin

all those fish wont fit in a 3ft aquarium and i have not added anything in the last 6 years and no coral or inverts i have only got (green hairy,blue,green stripe,pink hairy,bulleseye mushroom)and they have all been in the aquarium for the last 5 years nothing new and all the other tanks get there own cube of frozen food so it isnt mixed with any other tanks and i ahve not used any sprayes near my tank . thanks scott

no coral or inverts I have only got (green hairy, blue, green stripe, pink hairy, bulleseye mushroom)
I gather they are coral morphs or something along those lines? If so you could move them into another tank, then treat the main tank with fish in. Once the fish have recovered do a really big water change and put the green hairy, blue, etc things back in.

that white spot i have has wiped out a full tank of fish in the last 72hrs just found out i have Cryptocaryon irritans and i have orded a box of this Quinine Sulfate and then recived a phone call telling me this was illegial in this country they phone put me thow to a private internainol (spelling) in the south of scotland and said no to me and they said people have killed there selves on this stuff and ended up an argument saying all my fish were about to die if i dont get it and they ended hanging the phone up on me so it made my week :no:

go on this website tells you all about it

irritants

thats a full tank wiped out now mushrooms still alive but not the fish

cleaner shrimps breed all the time in my tank and i dont if it was them thats has born with a dissease and so do my emperor cardinals so they might be a link to it all

Fish or shrimp breeding in a tank won't cause disease outbreaks. And stuff like Oodinium & Amyloodinium need to be introduced into a tank. They cannot lie dormant for 6 years and then suddenly pop up, especially with fish in the tank. It has to have been introduced into the tank by something in the last few weeks, (perhaps live food, fish, coral or water from another tank).

did lose a chevron tang in that tank never found it so could that of caused the disease

a dead fish in the tank would cause an ammonia reading, which would cause the fish to produce more mucous and go white. Ammonia is also very toxic in alkaline water, (sea water has a pH of about 8.4).

thats horrible.

the "white spot" disease name is attached to several different infections. do you know exactly what you might have had?

Most reactions

Back