White clouds eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nina09

Reaction score
Hi, i'm beginner. I just bought 2 white clouds fish. I asked for female and male fish to the fish owner but she couldn't tell which one is female and male, so I told the fish shop owner to give me 1 fish with big belly and 1 fish with flat belly. But the one with flat belly looks smaller than the big belly. I'm curious if i got the right male fish. I put them into breeding box for 2 days. And this morning i see many eggs in the bottom of breeding box, then i released the fish outside the breeding box. My cousin said, i have to let the male fertilize the eggs first before move them out. But i worried the male fish will eat all the eggs if i put the male fish inside the breeding box. What should i do? Thank you for your advice
20200227_202019.jpg
20200227_144633.jpg

Pic: 1. female, 2. Male

If both are in the same box, the male will already have fertilised the eggs. The eggs may or may not hatch.

This is a good thread on breeding fish https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

You need to take the adult fish out of the box, they need to be in a much bigger space - the main tank. And you also need more of them as they are shoaling fish. 6 is the minimum number but more is better.

They both look like females to me.

If you want to breed White Cloud Mountain minnows, buy 6 and put them in a well planted tank. Feed them 3 times a day with a variety of food and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two. The males will display to the females and they lay eggs in plants. The eggs hatch after a few days and the babies can be grown up with the parents. The baby white clouds have a luminescent blue line along the body and resemble tiny neon tetras. The line changes as they grow.

I'd say both are females too. They spawn in bunches of plants, I very much doubt if they would spawn in a box.

I also think they are two females.
Perhaps one is older?.
Anyway, my males look like they are wearing lipstick.
I have some and have seen 1 fry, maybe 2. :)
It, (they?) indeed look like baby Neons.

I have 2 Amano Shrimp with them; I'm okay if they eat the eggs as I am not interested in breeding. If I get more I have an empty 20g.

Thanks everyone for your reply.
@essjay how many fish i can have in 30L fish tank?
@Colin_T will the female fish lay eggs without male fish presence? Whats male white cloud look like?
@Munroco will the female fish lay eggs without spawn? I haven't bought plant. I only have artificial plant in the main tank. Is that okay with artificial plant?
@vanalisa so the male look like they wearing lipstick? My male fish has sharp color and strong line than the female. Is it right?

You can have 6-8 white clouds in a 30 litre tank if yu do regular water changes and have an established filter.

Females will not lay eggs without a male present.

They will lay eggs in real or fake plants, but they prefer real. Live plants also have microscopic organisms on them that the baby fish can eat during the first weeks of life.

Male white clouds are more slender than females and have slightly bigger fins and more colour.

@Munroco will the female fish lay eggs without spawn? I haven't bought plant. I only have artificial plant in the main tank. Is that okay with artificial plant?
You can make spawning mops from wool. This video shows you how.

This is a poor picture of two of my white clouds. Female above

clouds.jpg

Last edited:
@essjay how many fish i can have in 30L fish tank?
@Colin_T will the female fish lay eggs without male fish presence? Whats male white cloud look like?
@vanalisa so the male look like they wearing lipstick? My male fish has sharp color and strong line than the female. Is it right?
how many minnows do you have?

@Colin_T you said females will not lay eggs without a male present. my fish lay eggs, isn't mean the other fish is male?
I have 5 danio and 2 white clouds in my 30l tank. How long should i regularly change the water?
Do you know how long female will produce eggs again after they lay eggs? Thanks

If the tank has an established biological filter that has been running for more than 2 months, you should do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate at least once a week.

If you are feeding the fish a lot of food then do water changes several times a week.

If the aquarium filter is still developing the good bacteria (cycling), then do a 75% water change every couple of days, or any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.

-------------------
Most female fish can produce a batch of eggs once every 1-2 weeks when kept under good conditions.

@Munroco That's great idea to make plant from wool. Thank you!
@vanalisa i have 2 minnows and 5 danios. Is that too much fish for 30l?
Based on size, no. But danios need a larger area because they are active swimmers. I am not sure about minimum size for minnows but they do need a larger group

@JuiceBox52 yes you right. Danios very active swimmers. I didn't know, i thought because they are small so i can have few of them. Thank you for your advice. Maybe i can buy another fish tank for minnows.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back