White Cloud Minnows In 10 Gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello there, 

I have recently been thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank and buying 5-6 Cloud Minnows. However, my experience with fish has only ever been with betta's and while I tried my best I don't know if I did everything right with them. So I have a few questions about this species of fish I was hoping I could get some help with. 

1. Would this tank size be suitable for this amount of fish? I read that they need a minimum of 5-10 Gallons and they are schooling fish. 

2. Do they require a heater if my house doesn't get colder than 65F?

3. Do you have any recommendations for filters? 

4. Do pet stores keep male and female fish together? I don't want them to breed so how could i avoid this? 

5. Any other suggestions? :)

Thanks!

You're going to get some mixed input on this one. I'm one of those who feel 20 gallons is minimum for these fish but there are some who feel 10 gallons is minimum. I came to my conclusion because I have kept them in both. I found the ones in the 10 gallon did not thrive and were prone issues common to stunting like curved spine. I now feel a 20 is minimal and a 29 is much better. 

I've never kept this species, but I can give a few recommendations for filters. Fluval filters are nice. They've got a bit of an adjustable flow and the media housing is excellent for custom media. If, for instance, you didn't want any carbon, you could have a larger bag of ceramic media, a bag of filter floss, etc. I'm also find of the Penguin models from Marineland. Currently, I'm using an Aqueon filter which I really like. It seems to have a really nice turnover rate, but it does not have as much room for customized media. I need to get a media bag for my currently loose ceramic rings. Anyway, just find a filter with at least 10x your tank volume for turnover rate. They'll usually say 200 gallons per hour (or liters).

Also, please have a look at the link in my signature about cycling your tank if you are not familiar with this process.

I'm pretty sure these are cold water fish, right?

Hi there, I don't keep WCMM either, but my friend does (and breeds them :) ) I would say;

1. Volume is less important than length for active species like this. Your minimum tank length would be 60cms/2'.

2. No; my friend's once went as low as 8°C/46°F (very bad winter!) and she had no losses, and the fish bred later that summer.

3. I agree Fluvals are pretty reliable and easy to maintain for beginners. WCMM like a fair amount of flow, so you can go with a largish filter; the more room for filter media the better.

4. You probably won't be able to pick out males or females, as the fish in the store will be young ones. You don't really need to worry about them breeding. If you have a very heavily planted tank, you might get one or two fry surviving, but you're very unlikely to get more than that. You could always have a few shrimps or snails that would eat any eggs the fish did lay.

5. Yes! Read up on cycling your tank ;)

tcamos said:
You're going to get some mixed input on this one. I'm one of those who feel 20 gallons is minimum for these fish but there are some who feel 10 gallons is minimum. I came to my conclusion because I have kept them in both. I found the ones in the 10 gallon did not thrive and were prone issues common to stunting like curved spine. I now feel a 20 is minimal and a 29 is much better. 
I'll keep your suggestion in mind. I won't be getting it for at least a few weeks but when I do I'll look at different tanks. 10 gallons is the minimum size tank I want but if I am able to I'll probably try to go a little bigger. Thanks for your reply!

attibones said:
I've never kept this species, but I can give a few recommendations for filters. Fluval filters are nice. They've got a bit of an adjustable flow and the media housing is excellent for custom media. If, for instance, you didn't want any carbon, you could have a larger bag of ceramic media, a bag of filter floss, etc. I'm also find of the Penguin models from Marineland. Currently, I'm using an Aqueon filter which I really like. It seems to have a really nice turnover rate, but it does not have as much room for customized media. I need to get a media bag for my currently loose ceramic rings. Anyway, just find a filter with at least 10x your tank volume for turnover rate. They'll usually say 200 gallons per hour (or liters).

Also, please have a look at the link in my signature about cycling your tank if you are not familiar with this process.

I'm pretty sure these are cold water fish, right?
Thank you for the filter suggestions! From what I have read they are "cool" water fish so I am thinking room temperature would be fine. Also, I'll look over the cycling instructions now, I know of the nitrogen cycle but don't fully understand it. Thanks again!

fluttermoth said:
Hi there, I don't keep WCMM either, but my friend does (and breeds them
smile.png
) I would say;

1. Volume is less important than length for active species like this. Your minimum tank length would be 60cms/2'.

2. No; my friend's once went as low as 8°C/46°F (very bad winter!) and she had no losses, and the fish bred later that summer.

3. I agree Fluvals are pretty reliable and easy to maintain for beginners. WCMM like a fair amount of flow, so you can go with a largish filter; the more room for filter media the better.

4. You probably won't be able to pick out males or females, as the fish in the store will be young ones. You don't really need to worry about them breeding. If you have a very heavily planted tank, you might get one or two fry surviving, but you're very unlikely to get more than that. You could always have a few shrimps or snails that would eat any eggs the fish did lay.

5. Yes! Read up on cycling your tank
wink.png
Thank you for all of your answers! The volume vs length thing makes sense, when I am ready to buy the tank I'll be sure to see what the largest tank I can get is. Thanks again!

wcmm are fish that ive never had they chance to own,
so please keep us posted on your progress :)

nortonmad213 said:
wcmm are fish that ive never had they chance to own,
so please keep us posted on your progress
smile.png
I probably won't be getting them until this semester is over (Around April) but once I do I definitely will! :)

Most reactions

trending

Back