The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Biulu

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Commuting between Oaxaca, Mexico and Montreal, Can
HI,

I will be upgrading soon to a 180 litre bowfront tank, and am very impressed by these beautiful killifish. Now, the main reason for the upgrade is to give more space to my pearls (2), and dwarf gouramis (3). Other fish I am keeping at the moment are serpae tetras (6) and cories (3).

What species would be suitable for this tank, taking into account that the water is quite hard, and pH around 7.5?

A lot of killifish species will live (if slowly acclimatized) in water with a neutral pH or slightly higher. I would be looking for Aphyosemion australe, Aphyosemion striatum or Fundulopanchax gardneri (all recommended beginner/novice killifish) and will present you with the least husbandry problems. Please remember a tight fitting cover glass or lid is absolutly essential when keeping killis. Provide floating plant cover such as Salvinia to subdue the lifhting.
Regards
BigC

Vallis should be fine, 1 male:2 females (trio).
Regards
BigC

Hi BigC, so I have been looking around for the species you recommended me, but unfortunately, no luck. The only one I have come across is the golden wonder killie (Aplocheilus lineatus). What about this one? Would it work out? I read here you said they are predators? That is not being mentioned in other info on the internet I found about them. But I trust your judgment more than the other sources.....

I have kept and bred Aplochelius lineatus (not gold dont like the colour) same fish though. I have heard so many horror stories about this species more so than any other killifish. IMHO I would refrain from using this species unless kept in a specific species tank. They are nice and non-problematic when young but as they mature (90 - 100mm) then they can cause some problems. You gouramis would be occupying the same surface living space and depending on which type you prefer I feel that they would end up being bullied or smaller species even being killed. Serpae tetra could probably hold their own if large enough.
Being from Mexico (Central America) Can you not get you hands on some colourful Rivulus species. I dont know about postal rates from USA and crossborder legistation but you can buy fish from the states then here is a good link for contacts.
http://www.aka.org/UserFiles/File/felpdfs/currAKAFEL.pdf
Most of the fish I mentioned are on there.
As I say I don't know anything about cross border postage but I'm sure you do.
Look at Fundulopanchax gardneri Makurdi or Fundulapanchax gardneri Misaje from Ruth Warner, she's usually good to deal with. (but she does have strict postage conditions due to the weather)
I hope this was of some help
Regards
BigC

Wow, this list makes my mouth water!

The problem with US based companies/persons is that they mostly ship only within their country. I had the same problem with my filter. Finally found a Mexican friend which lives in Texas and crossed the border for me to ship it from there. I do not feel comfortable though doing this with live goods, as he doesn't go on a regular basis.

Looking at the list you provided, many even state only 'continental US'. The same goes for Ruth Warner. I will try to contact some that do not explicitly state these postage terms.

Thanks very much!

In the meantime I will lookup some mexican killifish enthusiasts. And let you know.
Or try contacting
TAKO Texas Area Killifish Organization
at
[email protected]
and as a few questions on how to get killifish (not eggs) into Mexico.
Regards
BigC

Great! Thank you so much!

About eggs: I was thinking that this might be a more viable option when it comes to importing, as they can be kept for a longer time if I have understood it right?!

Actually an LFS in the Netherlands suggested to me that I should try to get a piece of peat with eggs in it, and try to bring it in my suitcase! Unfortunately, I did not have the time anymore to find a breeder.....

Eggs are a lot easier but you will have to rear the fry.
If you wish to go that route then I will supply you with info on how to do this.
I have contacted Anthony Terceira (killifish bigwig in the states) told him of your plight and requested the best method to get live fish into Mexico. (If indeed it can be done)
I'll await his reply and get back to you.
Regards
BigC

Thanks very much, BigC!

Today I found somebody selling killi -blue panchax. I have not been able to find the latin name for this one though. That is another difficult thing, that they never use latin names, so it is hard to know what is what. Sometimes I go to my lfs with a picture of what I want, and they tell me whether they can get it or not.

Aplochelius panchax (Blue Panchax) These are a nice fish again slightly smaller than Aplochelius lineatus but I found them somewhat more placid.
The are nowhere near as colourful as the Africian varieties of Killifish but they are easily kept and are easy to breed.
Regards
BigC

I'm sorry to dissapoint you this time as red and purple killifish would mean nothing to me or any enthusiast for that matter, So if you can get a pic of an adult male (camera phone pic even) Then maybe if its clear enough the I may be able to identify it, maybe not the exact location but certainly the species. They are probably an African species with that colouration but I cannot be sure without a pic. One would spring to mind which is the emblem of the American Killifish Association and that would be Fundulopanchax sjoestedti but these are unsuitable for your tank as they get massive in killifish terms 120 140mm.
I'm really at a loss to understand why a country so close to the states which has such a wealth and abundance of killifish species available and has so many killifish sub-groups of the AKA and yet you dont seem to have access to that. I need to find out if only to satisfy my own curiosity.
Regards
BigC

Well, I understand it is a bit too much asked, BigC! But I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Hmm, knowing this, makes it even more frustrating! What you should know though, is that I am living in the south of the country, in the second poorest state...... Not many people can afford to have pets. What is sold most here, are goldfish (you don't need a heater, people don't use filters etc.) and livebearers, which are cheap. And the shopkeepers know very little about fish too, so can't offer anything special.

The guy will get the red and purple killifish in on Tuesday (will bring it in for me). So, I will be able to take a picture then. Hopefully, it is not the one that you mentioned!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back