Which species of fish should I add first? Advice please!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Some posts have been edited out which is why it's confusing.
"Beth_obrien2424 said:
From my experience, which I admit isn’t as much as others on here, tetra are very hardy fish. A lot of people cycle their tank with tetra and then return them to the pet shop and get the fish they actually want to stock their now cycled tank."

The discussion was about whether shops actually allow fish to be returned after being used to cycle tanks.
Gotcha... I was confused because the post was deleted and wasn't showing up.

Last edited:
Water Sprite is an excellent floating plant, or Tropical Frogbit. Water Lettuce is my third favourite, though it can develop wonder rosettes that are best viewed from above which is why it is so common in outdoor ponds. Some stem plants can grow nicely left floating, Pennywort is one of these.
I really wanted dwarf water lettuce and/or water Sprite but couldn't find any.. I will keep looking and look for some Pennywort too. Thanks!! :)

I contacted my LFS and I had them order some Harlequin Rasboras for me. They had some in stock, but not as many as I wanted, so I asked them to order 20 for me, so I can add them all at once. I was informed that their orders are "Hit or Miss" right now, so they might not get them in the next week's order, and if they don't they will add it to the next week's order, and so on, until they get them. So it may be a few weeks, which will work out fine because it will give me some time to get some more floating plants. :D

I contacted my LFS and I had them order some Harlequin Rasboras for me. They had some in stock, but not as many as I wanted, so I asked them to order 20 for me, so I can add them all at once. I was informed that their orders are "Hit or Miss" right now, so they might not get them in the next week's order, and if they don't they will add it to the next week's order, and so on, until they get them. So it may be a few weeks, which will work out fine because it will give me some time to get some more floating plants. :D
That is what I am going through with my LFS. They are short on almost everything and I have several plants on back order.

The question has been competently answered in post #3.
Another important issue has been raised and needs addressing. That is the way in discussions and this has been posted in a discussion forum. You are in the UK. If this practice were occurring in a national chain like pets@home or maidenhead would you not want to avoid buying those fish? Some may want to seek to stop this practice by writing to the owners or boycotting the stores. I don't think systematic welfare issues should be sidelined, do you?
TBH, I think most pet stores the UK would refuse to take the fish back.

You aren't one of their suppliers, and they have no guarantee that the fish you are returning haven't been exposed to infection or parasites while in your care - they won't want to risk either their stock or their reputations.

However it it bliddy cruel to use fish to cycle your tank. These are little lives - to regard them as expendable is horrible. Do it properly, don't rush it, and then do as Dmpfishlover has done and take advice on which of the fish you want is most appropriate to introduce first, to establish your tank.

It's horrible to suggest "sacrificing" some fish, or passing your stressed rejects on to someone else.

Last edited:
Floaters: I've always had good luck with frogbit, asian water grass, and dwarf lilies. Vallisneria, while not a true floater, can get so tall that it covers the surface, serving much the same purpose.
I really wanted Frogbit, but it is illegal in Michigan. :( It is considered an invasive species. I do have Vallisneria in the tank already. It is planted in the back behind the driftwood. It just needs time to grow. :good:

I just ordered some Water Sprite, so that there will be some cover for the fish until the Jungle Val grows taller.:)

I really wanted Frogbit, but it is illegal in Michigan. :( It is considered an invasive species. I do have Vallisneria in the tank already. It is planted in the back behind the driftwood. It just needs time to grow. :good:

I just ordered some Water Sprite, so that there will be some cover for the fish until the Jungle Val grows taller.:)
I hope you have better luck with jungle val than I did, between the mystery snails and it melting it did not go well.:( Water sprite worked out better but I can not order anymore. Frog bite is illegal here too :(

Tough following this thread because of the deleted posts but personally id add a pleco first.
If the tank is cycled plecos do a good job establishing a tank because they are hardy fish that can take a wide range of temperatures and water parameters and as fish that create a lot of waste they will establish the tank quicker.
As such keep up on water changes and make sure the pleco has food, veg
gies and such...
Good luck.

Tough following this thread because of the deleted posts but personally id add a pleco first.
If the tank is cycled plecos do a good job establishing a tank because they are hardy fish that can take a wide range of temperatures and water parameters and as fish that create a lot of waste they will establish the tank quicker.
As such keep up on water changes and make sure the pleco has food, veg
gies and such...
Good luck.
The thing that puts me off plecs is they get so BIG! :eek:

If you have done a fishless cycle using the method described in this forum you can stock up. As others have suggested it may make sense to get your plants in and growing but the whole point of the fishless cycle is to get your tank to the point where it can cope with a full bio load.

I agree. If your tank can clear 3 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, in theory you can add all your proposed fish. The exceptions would be fish which need a mature tank rather than just a cycled tank.

If you have done a fishless cycle using the method described in this forum you can stock up. As others have suggested it may make sense to get your plants in and growing but the whole point of the fishless cycle is to get your tank to the point where it can cope with a full bio load.
I did a fishless cycle and the tank is fully cycled. I also added plants and I have some floating plants (water Sprite) coming in the mail on Saturday. I ordered 20 Harlequin Rasboras from my LFS and hope to get them in soon. I will be holding off on some of the more sensitive species such as Rummynose Tetras and Cardinal Tetras until my tank is more established... I think as soon as the Harlequin Rasboras are settled in and doing well, I will add a group of Corydoras next. :D

Most reactions

Back