Which Schooling Fish For My Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DerpPH

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So I have a 23 gallon orinoco blackwater pool biotope with 3 Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

My question is which is a better schooling fish?

I have 5 choices

Lemon tetra
Neon tetra
Rummy nose tetra
Black neon tetra
Silvertip tetra

Any recommendations or reasons are welcome

What are the dimensions of the tank, Derp?

fluttermoth said:
What are the dimensions of the tank, Derp?

25x118 x14  it isnt too big but heywhat can you suggest fluttermoth?

If it was me choosing I would say Rummys. With neons coming up close second.

Just my personal opinion. They both look lovely.

:)

RebeccaLouise said:
If it was me choosing I would say Rummys. With neons coming up close second.

Just my personal opinion. They both look lovely.

smile.png

Im looking for a biotopically correct sequence which means they have to live in the same environment in the wild

I have heard rummy noses live with rams in the orinoco, I just want to confirm

if you want to have them match the tank i would say either choose the plants and decoration or the fish to off set one other... like rummy nose tetras have a very pretty red head with ttheir lighter body maybe dark marooon plants but also whats easier schooling ..... some of those terras school better than others good luck

DerpPH said:
Im looking for a biotopically correct sequence which means they have to live in the same environment in the wild

Yes, rummynoses would be correct, as would cardinals or green/false neons.

In my experience rummys are the tightest shoaling from your list and the neons will be close 2nd, and my Silvertips now roam about the tank individually on a regular basis a far departure from when I 1st got them when they were super tight shoaling fish.

fluttermoth said:

Yes, rummynoses would be correct, as would cardinals or green/false neons.

So I have a blackwater tank, How could I make them look better when their lower body is a bit drab? The cardinals and green neons are not yet in stock from the lfs

If you have a true blackwater tank (soft water with lots of tannins making the water tea coloured), Silver Tip Tetras would look stunning and 118cm long tank would give them space to swim.

N0body Of The Goat said:
If you have a true blackwater tank (soft water with lots of tannins making the water tea coloured), Silver Tip Tetras would look stunning and 118cm long tank would give them space to swim.

I dont have a 1 meter long tank though, I already oredered rummy noses for my tank :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back