Which Pressurised Co2 Setup?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ali-Jack

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Evening all, hope you're all cool?
I'm looking into getting a pressurised CO2 setup, but am concerned over the safety and size of the FE/welding/pub bottle setup. I have a young son so don't like the idea of that size of bottle in my living room!
So....leads me to the 88g setup fluval offer. Now, the fluval cartridges are a rip-off at around £12 each. However, you can buy 10x88g paintball cartridges for about £40 if you shop around (make is Umarex i think). Does anyone know if the thread on these is the same as the fluval bottles?
Thanks in advanced

I've done a bit of digging on the net and found that most people say only the fluval bottles fit the fluval regulator. Oh well, thought that would be the case.
Anyone know if you can buy a regulator to fit a 88g paintball canister? Or, has anyone had a different experience with the fluval?
Cheers

I'd still go with an extinguisher system, cheap, last forever and I have 1,3,6,9 & 11 year olds so I put a lock on the cupboard door, sorted, plus FE's aren't as dangerous as people think as otherwise wouldn't be scattered allover public places. :)

Thanks for the reply Steve. My problem is my tank sits on an oak cabinet in an elcove in our sitting room. The set up means there's no room in the cabinet for any fish related stuff....plus the wife would kill me if i start making holes in it :) I don't really want a large cylinder sat on the floor next to it in clear view. Which is another benefit of the 88g/95g setups as they can be hidden behind the tank away from view and little fingers!
Anyone recommend a good 88g/95g pressurised CO2 setup?

One of those tiny CO2 systems won't last long at all mate.

I know you're right mate, I was just hoping for a cheap and small option. Ain't gonna happen i guess :no:

If going pressurized is not an option have you looked into using liquid carbon? I had good results using Liquid carbon before I moved to pressurized.

Cheers bud, I'm using liquid carbon in my current 38l tank. Bought a bottle from aqua essentials only this week. Not much to report so far, but my fish are all still alive so all good i guess :) Great service from AE, they're really helpful.
I'm in the process of upgrading to the 88l and really like the idea of using pressurised co2 (i guess i'm a geek really). I'm determined to find a system which is relatively cheap to keep going, but also doesn't take up a tonne of room!

I know what you are saying, one side of my Roma cabinet is filled with a 5kg FE (thing is huge), and I have a 2kg FE wedged in to the cupboard under my ARC tank.

The missus does not like it but then again I dont like the amount of wardrobe room she takes up with all her clothes/shoes ect :lol:

:lol: I like it. Will have to remember that one. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Cheers bud

i use

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/jbl-proflora-u402-disposable-co2-system-p-3171.html

lasts well in my 170l tank and you can get an attachment if you want to use refillable bottles.. :)

Cheers mate. I have been thinking about getting a 500g refillable bottle (TMC or JBL) and doing it that way. Should then last a few months at least in a 88 litre tank. just have to find somewhere to refill them and decide on the best regulator & solenoid combo!!! It's addictive stuff this fishkeeping ;)

I don't know if it was already mentioned, but if you really are set on miniature but want convenience have you considered the SodaStream adaptor-deally you can get?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back