Nothing survives... out of ideas and about to break this tank down

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks. Feels a bit like it.
When's the 'sit back and enjoy the thriving tank Ive created' start? 😩

Good suggestion that makes a lot of sense, but I've got a tank full of plants to keep going at the same time.

After the last big water change though, the remaining fish don't seem to be dong so bad. I can see a sparkling grouami and a pygmy cory dancing around together as I type.
It's tempting to just let things carry on as normal from here. They've looked OK at a few different points since I set it up though, so I really don't trust they'll stay that way.

My best guesses so far are either something about the wood, or the sooty stuff I kept finding in the filter from the substrate.

During my week off at the end of the month, I'll do something like:
Move the few remaining fish and any shrimp to another tank
Pull it all apart
Put plants in a large tub I've borrowed, along with a heater and airstone to keep things moving a little.
Rinse the substrate thoroughly
Boil wood in a big stainless pan thing I've borrowed, then attack it all with a stiff brush & rinse
Brush/scrub filter & pipework, inline heater and CO2 defuser with water that's as hot as I dare without melting anything.
Kill everything in the filter media with boiling/hot water
Spray the inside of the tank with white vinegar. Should kill anything that's left and be safe after a good rinse.
Try to polish out a couple of annoying scratches I've put in the front glass, rinsing well afterwards.
Put it back together, with a bunch of that 'start things immediately' stuff.

I may well use the current subtrate along the back and sides, with dark sand in the middle and maybe along the front. I do like how it looks and it'd be better for the corys.

I'm not really decided yet. Just got a bit of £ in it, that's all.

Completely understandable! Also understandable that you prefer the darker substrates over the light sand colours!
I'm honestly not disagreeing with good advice, just find it hard write off a whole type of substrate that's commonly pushed as great for planted tanks. Good money's charged for this kinda stuff, y'know. I guess people charge for unsuitable or rubbish stuff all the time though.
It's okay! You're absolutely fine, you're listening to and considering the advice, which is great! It doesn't mean you have to agree and follow everything, no one expects that. You're assessing and making your own decisions after seeking input from a range of people, then making your own informed choice. That's sensible, and all anyone should ask of you. :)
What's the best away to make sure plants have something to feed off in the substrate? Root tabs and mulm over time?

Mulm doesn't really build up in sand. The muck lands on the surface and is swept into the filter usually. Adding root tabs under root feeders like swords, crypts, vallis etc, and using liquid ferts for all of the others works just as well as a planted substrate. I'd recommend setting up a reminder on your phone for when you need to add more, if you're anything like me. I'm terrible for forgetting to add ferts until I realise the plants aren't growing so well, then remember I haven't added ferts for a while.

I may well use the current subtrate along the back and sides, with dark sand in the middle and maybe along the front. I do like how it looks and it'd be better for the corys.
The only thing I'd warn about with this, is that mixing substrates usually leads to them creeping into each other and mixing. Even though it's what I did, when I added a sand beach front half to a tank while leaving the back part gravel:
DSCF7809.JPG

I only meant for it to be temporary, I had planned to tear down and rescape with it being only sand. I didn't end up doing that since the pygmies were thriving so well as it was, and I didn't want to fix what wasn't broken, so I've kept it that way. But it's huge pain, in that the gravel creeps forward, and sand gets knocked back under the gravel, so I've had to top up the sand several times, and every maintenance I wind up having to use a sieving tool thing I found to sift gravel out of the sand and put it back where I want it. If I leave it, eventually the gravel winds up covering the sand beach. You can see above that I use river stones to try to create a bit of a wall, which helps a little, but not entirely.

So if you do go for something mixed, I'd recommend designing a better way like an acrylic divider to keep the substrates separated!

Oh, and @seangee The Unipac black limpopo sand doesn't need much rinsing at all. When I went to rinse mine out in a bucket before use, water remained remarkably clear both when I was rinsing, and when I added it to the tank. I probably would have been fine even if I hadn't rinsed it at all, it was so clean.

I've got the tank re-done over the last couple of days.
It's been quite a mission. I really hope things'll thrive in it now.
A few pics for anyone who might be interested:

Before:
PXL_20230406_151100885.jpg

Taking plants and hardscape out:
PXL_20230423_183850130.jpg

PXL_20230423_195035824.jpg

PXL_20230424_104751486.jpg

Storage for plants:
PXL_20230424_104758231.jpg

Pipework and inline heater & defuser in bits:
PXL_20230424_104810466.jpg

Boiling and scrubbing wood:
PXL_20230424_122040824.jpg

PXL_20230424_122036799.jpg

Trying to polish out a few scratches with a dremel and jewellers rouge (an improvement, but they're still there):
PXL_20230424_132120776.jpg

Pipework, heater and diffuser back together:
PXL_20230424_160245534.jpg

PXL_20230424_160238088.jpg

Washing the new sand (very little dust but it was surprisingly bubbly, like it was a little soapy):
PXL_20230424_160320546.jpg

Hardscape:
PXL_20230424_195627199.jpg

Test-fill to make sure the wood's anchored and doesn't float (wasn't good first time, but OK after a 2nd go with the epoxy):
PXL_20230425_163612958.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230425_075713446.jpg
    PXL_20230425_075713446.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Planting:
PXL_20230425_194241023.jpg

PXL_20230426_094544096.jpg

PXL_20230426_113825559.jpg

PXL_20230426_130950839.jpg

I've added some Feropol and Interpet 'Fast filter start' and have just turned the CO2 back on.
Some time over the next few days I'll watch the pH for a day and tweak BPS and timing from there.
Once I know that's set sensibly, I'll move a few fish from a smaller tank into this one and see how they get on.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice in this thread. I'll let you know how things go

Since re-doing the tank & swapping the substrate for plain black limpopo sand, things seem much better.
Fish have survived just fine for about a month now, where they would have previously been dying off by now.

I haven't been doing the 'just in case' water changes as I was, measuring what's going on to decide when to do it.
Haven't measured anything negative at all yet, so haven't done a water change after the first week.
It's relatively lightly stocked, so this seem pretty reasonable. I'm ready to do one anytime soon though.

No ferts in the water for the plants so far, just a few root tabs.
No CO2 so far either. I thought I'd make sure everything else is OK before complicating the situation.
Over the last couple of days I've been trying to figure out exactly how I should go about getting the CO2 right.

I've read two basic approaches that seem like they lead to quite different end results:
a. Aim for a 1 pH drop from the tanks pre-CO2 pH, for the time the lights are on.
b. Use a chart (like here, but similar charts are all over) to define the pH to aim for, for the time the lights are on.

My KH measures as 9-10 with the JBL Pro Aquatest kit I have.
Pre-CO2 pH measures to be around 7.3, with the same test kit and a cheap pH test pen

Method a says to aim for 6.3, method b says to aim for 7

Am I missing or misinterpreting something somehow? If not, which is the best to aim for?

Just to complicate things for myself, my (relatively cheap no-name) lights have a mode that makes them light for most of the day, with colour and intensity changing to give gentle light mornings/evenings and stronger light during the middle of the day. A simulated 24 hour day, but how that's simulated is undefined.
I could set them to 100% and turn them on/off to set the period, but much prefer how it's simulated day looks in mornings/evenings to no light at all.
It'll probably leave a fair bit of guesswork about the timing, so I'll be measuring pH hourly for a few days to make sure nothings miles out of whack

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back