Which Pc?

scobie140

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My pc is about 8years old so time to get a new one I think. I'm not that clued up on pc specs these days so don't really know whats good or bad these days.
Don't need a monitor as I have a half decent one and will upgrade that later. I't will mainly be used for basic tasks, music internet etc the main game that it will be used for will be football manager so doesn't have to be amazing graphicly just good at running the game. If anyone who is clued up on computer could have a quick look at the list of links and advise the best one or better alternatives that would be great.
£270
£290 with voucher code
£300
£290

The cheaper the better but want this one to last a while like my last one has.
Thanks for any help or advice

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My pc is about 8years old so time to get a new one I think. I'm not that clued up on pc specs these days so don't really know whats good or bad these days.
Don't need a monitor as I have a half decent one and will upgrade that later. I't will mainly be used for basic tasks, music internet etc the main game that it will be used for will be football manager so doesn't have to be amazing graphicly just good at running the game. If anyone who is clued up on computer could have a quick look at the list of links and advise the best one or better alternatives that would be great.
£270
£290 with voucher code
£300
£290

The cheaper the better but want this one to last a while like my last one has.
Thanks for any help or advice

The bottom one; has 4gb DDR2, 1GB GPU and a quadcore.

Problem is mate; with a lot of instore computers they may buy fast components but theyre always of questionable quality (at least compared to a private made one).

I always build my own rigs; mines been running for 8 years too and is still faster than most on the market (with the odd upgrade of course) =P

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeh i understand that a home made one would be superior but as i don't use it as much as i used to then i've decided just to try and find a half decent one thats ready made. So you think that the bottom one is the best of the four? what is the 1GB GPU? thats the one i thought looked best but I have no idea what processors are good or bad.

Be carefull, although the bottom one has good specs - it doeen't come with an operating system, only a German language trial install :crazy:

Quote:

"Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Trialversion German, preinstalled for testing purposes."

The specs are good though - but as Mr melt says, the quality of the parts in there could be questionable, PSU is usually your first problem.

The 1gb GPU is good as it means it's not going to need to reserve so much system ram to operate the video card.

I might be tempted with this one:

Overclockers PC

Should handle what you want, but I would add a video card (xtra £50).

Shame it's not quad core, but it's better than the ones you've already posted.

Overclockers PC

Ahh well spotted with the bottom one about the operating system I never noticed that. so will rule that one out. The video card is that the one in the drop down menue or would I get that seperate? sorry for not knowing much a bout pc specs. all i know is more ram usually means faster and that better processors make it faster but don't know any of the processors so makes it uselss to me haha.

Overclockers PC

Ahh well spotted with the bottom one about the operating system I never noticed that. so will rule that one out. The video card is that the one in the drop down menue or would I get that seperate? sorry for not knowing much a bout pc specs. all i know is more ram usually means faster and that better processors make it faster but don't know any of the processors so makes it uselss to me haha.

If you add the video card (drop down menu) it will come fitted.

CPU speeds work like this: (Very Basic analogy)

Single core running at 3.5ghz or Quad Core @ 3.5 ghz actual 'speed' is the same 3.5ghz but

Single core is asked to change 4 tyres on a car - off it goes, fast, but one wheel at a time.
Quad core is asked to do the same - it has 4 cores - so splits the workload 1 core for each tyre - the individual tasks are slower, but the overall result is quicker.

RAM is a different issue due to latency, speeds etc, best to google that. But be careful, 32bit systems (w7 32bit) can only use about 3.5gb ram where as (depending on version) the W7 64 bit systems can use up to 128gb.

I wouldn't get to tied up in make of CPU unless you are building - The whole Intel vs AMD thing is getting boring and expensive to keep up with, anything that is dual or quad core will suit your needs based on what you said in the first post. 4GB of RAM will be plenty and will allow you to do plenty including basic video editing.

Thanks you've cleared up how i thought the whole quad core duel core etc works, its not far off what i had in my head. I understand the RAM a bit as I remember some of that from higher computing at school,albeit a long time ago. The CPU part was the bit that had me most confused. Think i'll order that one tonight when i'm home if its the best pre built one i'll get for my money. Thanks for taking your time to re teach me basic computing :good:

Scobie:

Have a look here:

PC Pitstop

And go to forums - I'm a moderator on there and all your PC needs will be answered - keep the fish talk to here though!!

I didn't realize that the thread was 2 months old. Because if you already had a display, 500 bucks isn't much for the power you get from a Mac Mini. Not to mention the fact they are very easily upgradable. They also only take up a 7 inch by 7 inch piece of table.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back