Which Lighting Do I Need?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

khial

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 2x1x1 tank with no light, have been looking at the t8 set ups, can get a new controller for around £15 and bulb for £5

Would this be suitable? i plan on having live plants, £20 is my budget obviously i know i cant get much for that, was hoping to get a used one but doesnt seem to be many about

Unless you plan on heavily dosing, adding ferts and CO2, then a low light set-up is probably the best option.  Given that you are on a shoestring budget, low light would actually work in your favor.  High lighting requires more elements to keep everything balanced.

Plants that get lots of light need lots of carbon and lots of ferts.  A low light set-up can usually be done with only fish waste as the main "fertilizer".  I use no ferts, nor CO2, in my low light set-up 28W bulb on an 56G tall tank...  Plants look great.  The key is to get low lighting plants...

I have java fern, anubias, anacharis (elodea), and amazon swords.  These plants are very easy, low maintenance and require very little effort on my part.  They grow very well, and my java fern is constantly putting out little "plantlets", so even on a small budget, you can get a single java fern and in 6-12 months, you could have a half-dozen or so nice sized java ferns in the tank.  Some of the java ferns are tied on to things in my tank, others are just removed and discarded.  In my home tank I have 6 java ferns - 3 are at close to max height, while the others are still growing in - they are actually kind of bushy rather than tall.  Plus, I was able to set-up a good number in a larger tank (pic below) without buying them... 4 more plants went there, and the java fern has been in my tank for about 2 years.  I haven't split off my anubias, but I certainly could.  It is VERY thick growth and one plant (closer to the light) has actually bloomed twice.

Oh no, definitely not going to be heavily planted just a few to fill the tank out a bit. I have no idea about different lights and its a complete head wreck,

I've been looking at a Hagen Glo starter unit - 20 watt with an Aqua Glo bulb - 15 watt, not sure if that would be suitable?? its a 12 gallon tank (UK)

I have several in my main tank (no idea what they are) but they just get massacred by my fish so the 12 gal will help bring them back to life. if i get this lighting sorted that is, also it may become home to a betta, if i get my own way ;) not sure if that would make a difference, 

but anyway for my tight a$$ budget thats what i was looking at

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back