Which Hood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sandfire

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I am setting up a planted tank and I want very high intensity lighting. I have a 30â€￾x12â€￾x12â€￾ tank and already have 3 x 50w Interpet T8 lights to go in, so would like to use these. (coupled with CO2 and ferts).

Which hood do you recommend to hold the lights? I am worried about the heat they would give off as well. Would it be better to build a lid and in that case how high should I make it from the surface of the water and should I make it backless to allow the heat to escape, also this may sound daft but do the lamps get hot enough to ‘ignite’ wood?

Thanks everyone.

The only T8s that will fit in a 30" tank lengthwise are 24" (18W)

Are you sure you don't mean you have 3 55W Interpet Power compact T5s?

Otherwise I think someone has printed the wrong info on your T8s or they are 6ft long!!

Eitherway 150W over a 18 US Gallon tank is a little on the ridiculous side 8.33WPG!!!!!

Would be too bright for most fish and also would be an algae trap for sure and only for the extremely experienced (or lucky).

Andy

Aim for 2 watts per gallon with 30ppm CO2 and decent fertilising (e.g. Estimative Index) and pretty much anything will grow. Anything much beyond this is not going to make anything grow better just quicker - and that includes algae :)

Aim for 2 watts per gallon with 30ppm CO2 and decent fertilising (e.g. Estimative Index) and pretty much anything will grow. Anything much beyond this is not going to make anything grow better just quicker - and that includes algae :)

I agree with NRY, thats the best way to go, you really do not need airport lights to lights up your tank. It really is waste of electricity.

you really do not need airport lights to lights up your tank. It really is waste of electricity.

That made me spill (spray) my pepsi all over the key board laughing :lol:

I have 3 of the 55W Interpet Power compact T5, sorry it was a little late at night form me when I posted.

Perhaps I am getting a little obsessed with light! MORE MORE MORE :drool:

I would suggest that 1 of these will do although I don't have too much experience of small tanks, so maybe better to wait for confirmation.

See I guessed right at PC55s. lol

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back