Which Fish?

kharma2815

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've got a 40L (UK) BiUbe tank that's about halfway through cycling and I'm starting to think about what sort of fish I'm going to get for it. Ultimately, I intend to get some Neon Tetra (possibly 6-8) but I know that they prefer a very mature tank set-up so have decided that they will be my Christmas present to myself.

In the meantime I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what I can put in there (bearing in mind that I need to leave enough room for the Tetra's)? I've done some preliminary reading and was possibly thinking of some combination of Mollies, Guppies or Endlers. I would prefer something colourful but am quite happy to just have 2 or 3 in there until the Tetra's can go in.
 
Unfortunately I don't think a Biube would make a very good home for neon tetras at all. Biubes are taller than they are long. They have a pretty small footprint. Neon tetras need lots of swimming room, and as they swim back and forth rather than up-and-down they really need a tank a lot longer than a biube. If you have your heart set on neon tetras you will be better off getting a 20 gallon long (minimum).

Fish you can keep happy and healthy in a biube are pretty limited for a few reasons. For one, they are small. 40L isn't much room. They have a small footprint (like I mentioned) so are no good for active fish which need their swimming room. They don't have very good filtration, so you have to stock lightly.

For a biube you should really be looking at the smallest of the species available.
There's a good link of suggestions for fish for a ten gallon. Bear in mind you probably couldn't keep as many in the biube (for the reasons I mentioned above) but some of the species would probably work quite well link

sorry this is not what you want to hear. You could create a very nice set-up in a biube if your choose your fish carefully, but the neons should wait til you have a larger tank.

By Christmas you should have caught the fish bug well and good though and be itching to have a bigger and better tank
 
*nods* OK, thanks for that. Do you think some Endlers Livebearers and Spotted Rasbora's will do ok in there (possibly with the addition of Sparkling Gourami's) or would I be better off making it a species tank?
 
you could try honey gouramis? they are very small, bit bigger than a tetra and you wouldnt need alot of them. I have bright yellow ones and a red one.

Dont know if they would suit your tank, but mines not huge and they seem happy!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top