Which brand of black gravel do you use?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The substrate of your tank is the most important part and therefore should be adding some mineral content to the aquarium and also have the ability to support the BB to keep the tank cycling. It is not there just to look pretty.
Hmm. Well I have used playsand for 10 + years with no problems. Plus it's "pretty". ;)

What do you use, itiwhetu?
I only use fine river gravel. The gravel I chose depends on the fish I'm keeping. Different regions of the country have different mineral contents. So, I then can have a gravel that has a slight Alkaline content and is hard for Livebearers, and I then select a completely neutral one for the acid loving fish.

What did you use for your axolotls? I have mine on sand, off white playground & a black for aquariums, dark at one end & light on the other. Thanks.
I had them on gravel, Fish are not so stupid that they are going to kill themselves eating the substrate. When I had red slider turtles, I had them with a gravel base as well. The male used to pick the gravel up and spit it at his partners, it was funny to watch.

Typical gravel from aquarium stores is coated with a colored epoxy. If done right it never comes off and the actual rock never touches the water. If done wrong it will come off. The epoxy is not toxic, but the gravel might have toxic heavy metals in it that could dissolve in water. typically you don't have to worry about heavy metals.

The best thing you can do if buy a synthetic material with a known chemstry with no coating.

One common product I have used is black diamond blasting sand. Its coal slag. Now I understand that people fear toxic materials in it. The mineral makeup of this sand is available on the web and it is 90% silicon dioxide (glass) without 10% other materials. It will not leach anything into the water and is safe. Get he corse grade. Note this material has a rough surface that might be hrmsull to some fish that dig or fead off the substrate.

I am currently using tumbled black glass aquarium gravel in my 5 gallon tank. I it is inert 1/4 gravel and each particle is polished and smooth. it looks very nice in my 5 gallon but it is a bit pricy for a large tank. Black glass is also sold for use in patio fire pits.

+1 for the unipac Limpopo sand, barely needs washing, leaches silicates like any sand but it is what it is, might get diatoms for a few weeks...

I use the fine stuff, easy to keep clean and good for bottom dwelling catfish, loaches and earth eaters as it's fine enough to be sifted.

Most reactions

Back