Which brand of black gravel do you use?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aadeshp

Reaction score
Hello! I have been searching for a good brand of black colored gravel. I want to switch my substrate. From reviews I have read they said black coloring on gravel comes off and poisons fish or their water turns cloudy.

What brand of black gravel do you use from which you had good experience with?

Last edited:
My tank uses Dennerle's Diamond Black Crystal Quartz Gravel (https://dennerle.com/en/products/aquaristic/aquarium-bed/crystal-quartz-gravel). Gravel is about 1-2mm size. Rinsed it thoroughly before use and I've had no colour leakage whatsoever. It is very fine and easily disturbed so can be difficult to anchor plants in. If you want a planted tank, worth a layer of planting medium below it I think - I made this mistake but too late to fix it now but shall learn for next time.

I cant remember what the brand, or type of fine black grave I got, but never bloody again. I lost so many good fish.
Ive washed the crap out of it since, but just lost another two Bristlenose.

Limpopo black sand

Unipac Limpopo Sand or Unipac Black Micro-Gravel

Never had any issues with using either of those...no clouding or water chemistry upsets at all in any of my aquariums, including when changing out or swapping them around....or when Digger, the BN, starts burrowing in it at night and it never enters my filters either despite the "pull" being pretty strong.

thanks for your help - I'll go to the store and have them tell me exactly what mine is;
then you guys tell me whether I tell them to stick it up their wankel rotary engine, or not;

Hello! I have been searching for a good brand of black colored gravel. I want to switch my substrate. From reviews I have read they said black coloring on gravel comes off and poisons fish or their water turns cloudy.

What brand of black gravel do you use from which you had good experience with?

I bought a secondhand betta outfit came with this black sand. I use it in one other tank that has Cory Catfish.

Attachments

• FD906AFE-2556-4F83-A0ED-688F7BDD545D.png
    FD906AFE-2556-4F83-A0ED-688F7BDD545D.png
    592.3 KB · Views: 30
Please help me out. What are these products? Are they man made or natural? What do they add to your fish tank? Do they add any minerals? Are they acidic or Alkaline based? What exactly are they?

Please help me out. What are these products? Are they man made or natural? What do they add to your fish tank? Do they add any minerals? Are they acidic or Alkaline based? What exactly are they?
It's just the substrate or the "floor" of your tank. Mine is surprisingly kids playsand.

Attachments

• 20211012_174632.jpg
    20211012_174632.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 27
It's just the substrate or the "floor" of your tank. Mine is surprisingly kids playsand.
The substrate of your tank is the most important part and therefore should be adding some mineral content to the aquarium and also have the ability to support the BB to keep the tank cycling. It is not there just to look pretty.

I buy 50 pd bags of children’s play sand at Lowe’s for my tanks. Requires much rinsing in a bucket to remove dust that cloud tank & take too long to settle

The substrate of your tank is the most important part and therefore should be adding some mineral content to the aquarium and also have the ability to support the BB to keep the tank cycling. It is not there just to look pretty.
What do you use, itiwhetu?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back