Where Can I Buy Pure Ammonia In Uk?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

lukejwindsor

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having trouble finding anywhere that sells pure ammonia (need it for my fishless cycle)... any tips?

I found this stuff in Robert Dyas, but it didn't list any ingredients... it was 35% - so what was the rest?!

Would prefer to buy online if possible... what have you used in the past?

Any help much appreciated!!
lucas

U can get the ammonia to cycle tanks in Hombase, thats were i got mine, u cant buy 100% pure ammonia ( well i think) :blink:

Zoe :good:

I read somewhere else on this forum that it was at homebase as well where its from..

Wilkinsons/Boots/Homebase, most large stores that sell common home cleaning products will have pure ammonia :) remember, shake it well, if it foames its a no no.

Yeah, you can't buy pure ammonia in the UK. It's dangerous stuff.

The stuff from Homebase is what you need as Scotslass says. It's called 'Household Ammonia' and is ammonia diluted with water. The final product is 9.5% ammonia (if i remember correctly) and is ideal for cycling your tank.

I bought some in my local boots store over the weekend; just called 'Household Ammonia'. 9.5% strength, it was with their cleaning products

Couldn't find any at my local Boots/Homebase when I did my cycle, so ended u getting mine from the £1 shop.
It's called Household Cleaner and Laundry Agent (or something similar) and just lists Ammonia in the ingredients (I forget what percentage).
As has been mentioned before, if it foams when shaken don't buy it.
If the only ingredients listed are ammonia and water then you should be fine.

"Pure" ammonia is actually a misnomer as true "pure" ammonia is a gas. We use that term to refer to ammonia that is a mixture of ammonia and water without detergents, dyes or fragrances.

Can you order ammonia online? I think it is illegal to ship in the US because of the damage it can do if it comes open or leaks.

Most reactions

Back