When to turn lights on/off

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

toggle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Do i turn the light on when i get home (around 6pm) and leave on untill i go to sleep (around 10-11pm)

So they basically get the same light/day as i do? Or do i turn the lgiht on when i go to bed and turn it off when i wake up?? :sly:

It's best to have the lights on in the day. I have mine on a timer to come on at 10am and go off at 10.30pm. It's important to have a routine, especially if you have nocturnal fish and plants.

:)

10 hours of light per day would be good, 12 if you have plants.

they need a light period AND a dark period, or they'll get ill. you oculd put them on a timer to come on at 11am and off at 11pm, then they'd get enough light and you'd be able to see them when you come home :)

ill do what daniodude does then, since i dont have a timer

thanks!

Hi,

if you live in the UK, you can pick up a timer for £5 in Homebase.

I've got one of these on my tank and it works a treat

Dave

cant get a timer for the plug socket coz if i do it will turn the pump and thermostat off/on aswell :p

tanks which have a combined plug for everything are a pain in the ?@#
the old tropiquariums were like that (the new ones still are I think, but have a built in timer for the lights)

I guess you could do some re-wiring and add an extra plug if you wanted.

Personally I have mine close to a bright and sunny window so most days I don't bother to turn it on at all until feeding time in the evening.

or i could just turn it on around 8am and turn it off around 10-11pm

We tend to turn ours on around 08:00 when we are up and about and getting the kids ready for school (children, not goats :rolleyes: ).

It goes off when we go upstairs to the computer room for late-night-nerding......usually around 22:00 - 22:30.

I do worry that this is too long............but noone seems that stressed, and the plants are doing fine....... ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back