When nothing will work

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Davy Reynolds

The First Ever Member
Reaction score
Okay I've had this Oscar for a while and it's wounds are months old. Plus it's on it's own now and nothing is going right.

Heres the pic.
ill_oscar.jpg

As you can see it is on it's last legs. There are wounds, fungal infections and holes in it's gills (the red bits are what your seeing through the gills) Theres fin rot plus a few other things. Looks like I'll need to read everyone recomendations for putting it out of it's misery :(

Davy,
This is going to sound unlike me, but wrap it in some papertowel several sheets, and one good smack on the floor will do the job.

I am NOT an advocate of this practice, but this fish has so many problems I feel it is more inhumane to let it suffer and die on it's own.

I feel for you m8...I have been in the same position a few times and have had to resort to the above practice.

Larry

Definately either that or use a sharp knife and slice the head off. Both ways are quick but with the hitting especially if it is wrapped up you must be sure that you hit its head and it is actually dead.

One question to ask yourself. If this Oscar was human and it was part of your family and you could relieve its suffering legally, would you? With so many thing wrong with it, it has to be suffering pain. Inflamed gill means its suffocating, body rot and general body deterioration means that its own body is shutting down. The fish wants to go to the great water in the sky. You have the power and the means to end its suffering.It is always painful to destroy something you care for,but if you were in that state, would you not want someone to put you out of your misery. An omnipotent being to take away your pain? You are that being,Davy. :cry:

Williams suggestion is quick, like humans once the spinal cord is severed the subject is dead. Yes you may feel some body movement, shock ,but the subject will feel no more pain.

:( I go with Larry on this one Davy. You know what you have to do. Sorry m8. Mac.

Sorry to here of your prob Davie but i agree with the rest even Mac put it out of its missery. only Kidding Mac.

Well it's done. Eairlier today Sandra said he had something hanging form it. I didn't know what it was until now. I've included another picture ;)

Oh and to be honist it's not a long term freind. It's been a pain in the ass. I've still got another 12 Oscars to get rid of. I don't mean through illness, to sell.

fungal_growth.jpg

O.K. I give up...what is it. Looks like some sort of jellyfish or a cycst enveloping spores. Interesting? :0

Well what ever it is I say it's fungus and I'm going to blitz the tank with Potassium permanganate. I've not had the tank setup load so I'm not to bothered ;)

Your Oscar has been the subject of excessive bullying m8........i know ive lost several this way myself :(

Oscars are terrible for singleing out the weakest of their tank mates and literally bullying them to death as is the case here :angry:

I now only keep 3 Oscars together at once as i find this number works for me........anymore than that and all hell breaks loss :but: ..........can i just ask what you were feeding him on?

Speak to you soon m8 ;)

FLake and the ocassional live food, also got some sammon eggs.

But as far as the bullying went. He was the last of three in a tank the other two died weeks before this one ;)

it does look like a fungus m8, Scrub the tank and get an Arrowana

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back