When did you 'step up'?

I had 10 and 20 gallon tanks throughout my child hood. We only had goldfish though. Without the info available as it is now on the web we lost lots of fish. about 6 months ago after nearly 15 years of having no fish I pulled out my trusty 10 gallon tank from my basement...cleaned it up and went at it....just recently we bought a 72 gallon bow tank and have been super busy buildng decorations of fake plants and rocks and fake tree stumps...soon in a week or so it will be together and have water in it and will be cycling in expectation of its new occupants!

Craig

:rolleyes: Two years ago I begged my parents for a bigger tank, since I had two male guppies in a 2.5 gallon tank and really wanted more fish! I purchased a 29 gallon bow front tank than early this year I got a 46 gallon bow front tank! :thumbs:

My parents said I could could have another for my birthday (108 days and counting)
I was actually the one who pulled our oldest tank around, before I took over, we had fish dyeing here, there and everywhere (mostly swimbladder problems) Now we haven't had a problem with diesease at all! We have had up to ten deaths since this time last year. But my parents don't realise that. I know how you feel, I'm eleven.

the other week i was at a yardsale and saw a nice looking fish tank. its a 40 gallon with a BEAUTIFULL handmade wood stand. the stand is just gorgeous and has compartments and such.
so i ended up buying it for $80. it came with 2 power heads, an ugf, an aquaclear side filter, a bubbler thing, gravel and a lighted hood.

so being that i never had a fish in my life this was quite a investment.
i then proceeded to set the tank but and i buy some platys. these are my first fish, they are almost 3 weeks old.

so yeah, my first tank is this 40 gallon, and i havent stepped up to anything bigger, and i dont plan too.

csr mel said:
the other week i was at a yardsale and saw a nice looking fish tank. its a 40 gallon with a BEAUTIFULL handmade wood stand. the stand is just gorgeous and has compartments and such.
so i ended up buying it for $80. it came with 2 power heads, an ugf, an aquaclear side filter, a bubbler thing, gravel and a lighted hood.

so being that i never had a fish in my life this was quite a investment.
i then proceeded to set the tank but and i buy some platys. these are my first fish, they are almost 3 weeks old.

so yeah, my first tank is this 40 gallon, and i havent stepped up to anything bigger, and i dont plan too.
im guessing you didnt cycle it first... :sick:
youll want more tanks sooner or later... :shifty:

i sure didnt cycle it. i didnt know about cycling a tank untill days after i had the fish in already.

well i had a 5 now i have a 15, but ive had it for like 3 or so months, and i want a 20 or 30, still trying to get one though, i have the money for it, but need to convice parents.

I stepped up from a 30-Gallon to a 75 when I was able to trade in my community tropical fish to a LFS for some African Cichlids. I love these guys and wanted to start a setup just for Africans. I researched for weeks what they'd be happy in, then I went shopping.

I looked for a tank that would keep them happy, keep my pocket book happy, keep me happy, and leave some room in my front room. I ended up choosing a 75-Gallon Perfecto Oak Setup. It's getting picked up tomorrow and I'm sooo excited. I get a fresh start with this tank and I can't wait to jump in. I have a second shot to do this completely right. I know what I want out of the tank, and it's nice to know that going in. :)

With my 30 it was "Uhm, I can have FISH NOW!" and I just started pouring stuff in not knowing what the hell I was doing. :( Now I know better, and I get to prove it!!

wrs said:
well i had a 5 now i have a 15, but ive had it for like 3 or so months, and i want a 20 or 30, still trying to get one though, i have the money for it, but need to convice parents.
LOL - I've got a 30-Tall that I'm moving out of. Too bad you aren't closer, I'd be happy to let it go - cheap. :) As long as it went to a good home.

But, you know...since you're not close I guess I can talk myself into doing a nice angelfish setup. :p

It is hard getting new tanks when your young! My parents seem to think they waste large amount of electricty! when they only use as much as an average house hold appliance. Give it time and your parents will let you get another...then another....then anohter :fun:

i'm 17 and am working a lot nowadays, so i could buy bigger tanks (my biggest is a 20 gallon now) BUT now that i finally have the money, i am going away to college where they dont allow fish in my dorm room. :angry:

well, when i was a kid we always had a 30 gallon tank running. then in college i had two male bettas in 2 gallons (separate). then last year i started with my first 10 gallon. then i met my fiance who had a goldfish-fancy tri tail with a pot belly- in a ten gallon (he now lives in my parent's pond and has since reproduced with their goldfish and now there are lots of golldishes). then i got a third ten gallon and finally resurrected my parents 30 gallon with a new hood and filter, etc. i really really really want a 65 gallon, but i live in an apartment and it just isn't practical. i have goaded my brother into getting a new tank for my parents' house, a 150 gallon, and whe it is done cycling and my fishies get bigger i will be moving my clown loaches and sharks and pl*co to it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies people, its good to know that some people share my pain! :lol:

I take it you guys are quite young and therefore need to rely on parents, christmas, birthdays etc to raise funds. You have my total sympathy waiting is HARD :(

Its not so much the money, its more the fact I've just kinda started. My parents are holding back just for the sake of it. We've got the room, I found a good deal in the local trading post ect.

Incitic - that tank looks lovely and the loaches appear to be quite small still so you should be ok for a while. :p

Why thank you ^_^ I love the tank. It sits on my little drawer next to my bed and it looks wonderful in the dark!

This may sound kind of parentish :p (But hey, that's what i am) Perhaps your mom is just waiting to see if you can do this long term before she commits to anything else. I remember (or at least have brief flashes of) when i got my first tank, mom and dad would not even listen when i asked for a bigger tank. But every so often i would catch them watching the fish just like i would, so i knew it was just a matter of time.

Same here. I know its just a matter of time because my parents like the fish as well, why else would they spend as much as they have already? :p

So far I havent had any fish die (I know that doesnt mean I'm in the clear) and my parents comment on how healthy and happy my fish look. Hopefully thats a bit of inscentive to get the ball rolling ;)

P.S.
Dont be a pain in the @ss about it though. :lol:

Woah, dont get me started on nagging :lol:

It is hard getting new tanks when your young! My parents seem to think they waste large amount of electricty! when they only use as much as an average house hold appliance. Give it time and your parents will let you get another...then another....then anohter :fun:

ohhhhhhhh, just the thought of that makes me tingle with excitement :fun:

Most reactions

Back