when cichlids fight

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Should you let them fight it out or break it up? Sometimes its hard to let em fight it out, i just feel sorry for em hurting each other. My JD and albino convict like to lock jaws and go at it, the JD always wins. but i don't want em to hurt each other. The territory is pretty much sorted out now, with nobody injured, but i was just curious. I typically let them work it out themselves, just wondering what you guys do :)

my guys always duke it out. usually some small fighting, nips here and there, nothing serious. but every now and than, my red top and trewasea duke it out. i just let them handel their business. they fight for a few min(once for almost 30, lol) and then go back to normal. and suprisingly, theres almost no injury to either one of them.

but in your case, haveing a jd and convict in the same tank, and that are fighting, might lead to trouble later on.

how big is your tank? how big are the JD and convist? are they matured? what other fish are in your tank? do you have ample hiding spaces(rock work, flower pot, etc etc)? cause if its anything under 100 gallons, and u have additional fish(which i assume you do), you'll have major problems. once the jd is full grown, sooner or later, he'll kill your convict.

world nation is on the money with that one but there is one situation where i would seperate. personaly i think that when there is a breeding pair it is a good idea if you actually want them to breed and you want any of your other fish to live through the experience to seperate. not during the fight but after. well once they see the net they all forget about fighting usually.

right now they are housed in a 55 gal with a 3" GT and a 1.5" Deppii(still donno for sure what he is) There are a few danios to help with aggression and 3 clown loaches. The JD is about 2" and the same for the convict. I will have a 135 or 180 in a few months to move them to if need be. I think they will be fine for awhile. Not much fighting after the territories are sorted out. I have a 10 gal and just got a 20 gal if i need to move one in an emergency.

Tnx for your info!!!!!1

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back