When Can I Add Anemones

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

windgrace03

Reaction score
i have had my tank for a couple of weeks now all the lvls are good atm i have 40lbs of live rock it was already cured when i bought the rock. a twin spot goby and a pair of maroon clowns. How long should i wait to add a anemone for the clowns????? the tank size is a 60 long.

how long has your tank been up and running and howw long have the fish been in there?

what type of lighting do you have and what type of anenome are you considering?

My personal views are to keep them in the wild as they are so very hard ot care for, unless its a captove bred one i try to keep clear

i know this isnt my topic but if u bought a coral what looked the same as a anemone would that work or is that a stupid idea lol?

i know this isnt my topic but if u bought a coral what looked the same as a anemone would that work or is that a stupid idea lol?

Not a stupid idea at all. Many members of the Euphyllia genus of corals (frogspawn, hammer, and torch) look just like anemones and can even fool many clownfish :lol:. A far safer option than anemones especially for a beginner aquarist.

Windgrace: I highly suggest you read the sticky anemone guide for beginners atop this section and also wish to remind you that clownfish can live just fine without an anemone

woohhoooo im clever i think the toch coral looks very nice i think the brain coral does to (if thats the right 1 cant remmember)
any good luck :good:

tank has been up for a bout 17 days. fish about 12 days. the lights are Coral life 20k kelvin high- intensity purifed super daylight lamp. other light is Coralife actinic. the actinic blue light is 24in and the day lamp is a 48in light.

im no expert at lighting but anemones are still very hard to keep i once heard that if not fed eough they can feed on the clowns they house so if i was u i would go with a torch / brain coral what look extremely similar also anaemones need extra care wich is all up on the pinned article :good: hope i can help

I would never put any anenome under anything other than metal halides.
Their captivity surviva rate is extremly poor too. How long must somone kep ananenome before theycan truthfully say they keep them successfully? Especially considering that if you do manage ro keep one alive, what then happens when the anenome outlives you or your interest in the hobby considering they live for many many hundreds of years.

Many people wish to own an anenome simply because they want to give their clowns a hme but things couldnt be simpler. Clowns will host in just about anything and there are many coral that are far easier to keep that look very similar to anenomes.

Here is a photo of my old maroon clown living in a aleather mushroom.. Under normal lights no special requirements.

clown2.jpg

And my pair of clowns in the very same coral.

2clowns.jpg

thanks for all the help guys. But could you add coral in a tank so soon??? or would i want to just stay with the live rick for awhile????

Great info on this subject.
We've finally got our marine tank set up but are waiting to add live rock. The tank will have cycled a good few weeks before we consider adding fish. I'd heard that anenomes could be difficult but knowing there are other corals that will host a clownfish is great news.
Thanks to all! :good:

Most reactions

Back