Whay are these fish called

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Save037

Reaction score
Hello everyone what do we call these fishes and is it ok to keep them togather in one tank and what do i have to do to keep them alive i am new to this hobby

351ct5h.jpg

The upper two fish (vertical stripe) are Tiger Barbs (Puntigrus tetrazona) and the four lower fish are Rosy Barbs (Pethia conchonius). Both are barbs, a group of fish in the cyprinid family.

They can be kept together, but you have to get a few more, especially of the Tiger Barb. This species is a fin nipper, and in groups less than about 8 this can be a real problem. I don't know the size of your tank, but a group of 8 should be in nothing less than a 29g (length 30 inches or 75 cm). If your tank is smaller, I would return the two Tiger Barbs as they are going to have difficulties. These fish are termed shoaling, and must be in groups to function normally or they will be stressed and problematic.

Thank you sir the pet shop guy didnt told us anything about this so now i have to return the tiger barb and what about the two black ones at the bottom right?

The black fish in the bottom right are black moor goldfish and should be kept in tanks with other fantail (double tailed) goldfish. They generally don't do well when mixed with barbs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't goldfish be kept in at least a 20 gallon tank? Also goldfish are cold water fish are they not? If I'm right about goldfsh needing colder water, then they should not be in the same tank with barbs because they require different water temperatures. I'm not an expert on goldfish though, so maybe someone else can elaborate more on this.

and what about the two black ones at the bottom right?

Missed those earlier, didn't even see them as fish, lol. Colin and FishFinatic77 both answered on these. They should not be with tropicals for several reasons.

Missed those earlier, didn't even see them as fish, lol.
I missed them too until the op asked about them. Black fish in a black corner, easy to miss :)

----------------------
Goldfish are a coldwater fish. However, they can also live in warm water, and the more fancy varieties (fantails) do better in water with a temperature between 15-25C.

Rosy barbs can also live in cool water and we have them in ponds outside in Australia. However, they have been bred outdoors for years so have developed into a coldwater strain.

Rosy barbs (or any barb) should not be kept with fancy goldfish like Black Moors because the goldfish simply cannot compete with the barbs when it comes to food. The barbs are more streamlines and much quicker, and this allows them to get more food. The goldfish are slowed down by their short fat body and 2 tails.

Keep fantail goldfish in their own tank with other fantails. Keep barbs in a tank with other active fish.

BTW - there are a number of books and internet articles that provide many lists of fish that go well together in a community tank. And will tell you how many you need of each kind. Unfortunately, in my city there are only 3 places that stock fish and they always seem to be out of what I want or don't have enough of them etc. So I've looked for some reputable online websites (many breed their own fish and supply fish stores with fish - one is a provider of fish to NASA (I assume fish in space experiments). Shipping is very costly - usually $30-$45 but I can get exactly what I want - they also usually have information about each species so you don't have to rely on a salesperson that doesn't know anything (actually in my city I've been impressed with the knowledge of some of the kids selling fish even in the Petco's and Petsmarts- they seem to really care - their store just doesn't stock enough fish except the poor betta's in cups)

I never go into a pet store without a list of exactly which fish I want and how many as well as several alternates. They usually look a little drab when they are tiny and young.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back