What’s wrong with my Panda Corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The fish has excess mucous all over its body and in particular on its head. This can be caused by poor water quality, chemicals from medication, plant fertiliser or something in the water.

Make sure you aren't overdosing with the medication and after the treatment has finished, do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. See how the fish looks after that.

The fish has excess mucous all over its body and in particular on its head. This can be caused by poor water quality, chemicals from medication, plant fertiliser or something in the water.

Make sure you aren't overdosing with the medication and after the treatment has finished, do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. See how the fish looks after that.

Cheers Colin. Hopefully this time it’s not the water quality as the parameters are ok and the water looks crystal clear. There were regular water changes during the 2 week dosing period as my tank was going through mini cycle, which seems to have completed about 2 days ago.

I am due for big water change tomorrow according to schedule, unless there is something wrong with the water parameters today.

Except for few extra drops last night I’ve followed the guidelines for dosing.

I was recommended to try eSha 2000. From the product information it does look like it might help some of the symptoms.

One new thing I've learned from reading the extended product information is "shimmying disease". I certainly notice this in some of the barbs and corydoras.
I didn't realised that it could be a disease until I've stumbled across eSha 2000 documentation.

I am surprised that a moderator on this site hasn't pulled you up on you putting that so close to the fish. Be careful what you do.

I am surprised that a moderator on this site hasn't pulled you up on you putting that so close to the fish. Be careful what you do.
It was diluted in the water that happens to be close to the fish.
If I drip into the tank it’s the same effect, especially with 145 drops as per recommended dosage.
Thanks for the advise though, I will never drop meds directly on fish unless per instructions but good to point this out.

It was diluted in the water that happens to be close to the fish.
If I drip into the tank it’s the same effect, especially with 145 drops as per recommended dosage.
Thanks for the advise though, I will never drop meds directly on fish unless per instructions but good to point this out.
Rather than try to count 145 drops it is better to get the number of milliliters required and then use a pipette to administer the med.

Rather than try to count 145 drops it is better to get the number of milliliters required and then use a pipette to administer the med.
Thanks will consider that. The eSha bottle comes with pipette so it’s easy to count drops.

I just wished I’ve spotted the disease earlier on but as a beginner I have no clue how to spot them, perhaps until it’s too late :(

I’m learning more now and surprised at how complex fish diseases can be.

I was recommended to try eSha 2000. From the product information it does look like it might help some of the symptoms.

One new thing I've learned from reading the extended product information is "shimmying disease". I certainly notice this in some of the barbs and corydoras.
I didn't realised that it could be a disease until I've stumbled across eSha 2000 documentation.
Shimmying is where the fish swims but does not go anywhere. It is caused by poor water quality, a dirty tank, low GH and or pH, and possibly external protozoans.

It is common in livebearers but I have never seen a catfish with it.

Shimmying is where the fish swims but does not go anywhere. It is caused by poor water quality, a dirty tank, low GH and or pH, and possibly external protozoans.

It is common in livebearers but I have never seen a catfish with it.
Ah ok. I’m just going by the description in the product manual. I noticed some barbs and Corydoras turn their body whilst swimming. Sort of like a barrel roll a few times.

The recommendation from eSha is to do a big water change tonight and treat with NDX. This treats round worms and nematodes and gDex is meant to treat flukes and tapeworms.

Then another big water change tomorrow and treat with eSha 2000. This is meant to treat external bacterial infection.

I do admit that there was a problem with water quality in the past which I’ve now resolved. It’s evident in the sense that my water is now crystal clear, whereas before it was always bit cloudy, even with good water parameters.

Perhaps the fish losses were triggered by poor water quality, leading to stress and outbreak of disease.

I now have to ensure the tank is disease and parasite free. Hopefully then I will not have further losses.

This is an armored Catfish, pretty tough. Mind you none of us like pandas according to to my other post

Yes, I’ve learnt now that panda corydoras are pretty sensitive to water quality and diseases.
The Peppered corydoras seems to fair better.

I now know to spot early signs of diseases in them by monitoring their fins. Usually the first sign that something might be wrong is clamped fins.

Large water change is recommended and need to establish under lying cause. It’s usually either water quality or something in the tank has disease or parasites.

Most reactions

Back