What's wrong with my mollie??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Earlier today I noticed that one of my mollie's eye has buldged. It has been fine up to now, and then this afternoon I saw that it's eye has buldged. It is black and it looks like there is a sort of white film on the buldge.
I change 25% of the water twice a week.
I use nutrafin cycle and nutrafin aqua plus water conditioner in the tank.
There are 3 young black mollies and a young Siamese fighter living in a 20 gallon tank.
The siamese fighter was added a week ago, I was wondering if maybe he was the problem??

Any help would be really appreciated!!! PLease help as I am really stuck to what is wrong with it.

Hi my black molly had that before i unfortunately lost him, i had seen lighter patches over his side also very velvety looking, so the only thing i could established from the table i had was velvet and slime, so i bought the treatment and treated the water unfortunately i think i was too late or he just couldnt cope because he died, all the other fish were fine with no signs of illness it was strange

I'm a newbie so this might not be what it is, but that was what i had. And i really feel for you - its awful seeing them like that and not knowing what to do

Good Luck
Miranda

Sorry Symtoms for this are
bulging eyes
fish gasping
velvety patches
flicking rubbing on things
rapid gill movement
spending lots of time at the surface
sometimes peppering of gold spots (mine didnt get this)
Really hope this helps

Another thing which causes pop eye, could be internal bacterial infection, although its really hard without water perimeters

i would go to your lfs for a second opinion on this as you have to be absolutely sure what kind of disease it is before you add any medication.

HTH :D

sounds like it could be popeye. does it look like there is a blister over the eye? popeye is sometimes cause by an injury to the eye. ie a scratch on the eye from decor.

i would move the molly to a hospital tank and start meds. popeye is not contagious, but this will help reduce the amount of meds used and prevent medicating otherwise healthy fish.

popeye if left untreated can result in the loss of the eye.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back