What's This Ulcer Thing?

BubbleBlower

Reaction score
I had two Dwarf Gouramis up until a couple of days ago. I had a red one and a blue one - both male. They seemed to get along OK with my other fish apart from the occasional chasing. Day before yesterday though the red one died, was floating face down in the tank. Today I have noticed a sort of warty/ulcer thing on my blue male. I took a photo of it as can't seem to find out for certain what it is elsewhere on the internet. There were no ulcers/warts on my red one.

I wondered if anyone knows what it is and the best plan of action to save him and so it doesn't affect my other fish. By the way I won't be replacing the red male with another of the same.

Thanks.

gourami.jpg

It's a common bacterial infection that Dwarf Gouramies seem prone to. Ideally, you need to put him in a hospital tank and treat with medication. He may not make it though, as many people have had the same thing happen and no amount of meds seems to clear it up. :/

Thanks for the advice. Doesn't seem like the outlook is too good then :(

I don't have a hospital tank and TBH can't afford to buy an extra heater/filter system....Would I be able to use some meds in the tank that wouldn't affect my other fish? (3 Black Phantom Tetras and 3 Columbian Red Fins) What meds would you recommend?

Thanks again.

my dwarf gourami recently had an ulcer on its mouth. I used esha 2000 and it seems to be clearing

Thought I'd post an update as I've been away over the weekend.

Before I went I added a dose of King British Bacteria Control to the tank as that is supposed to treat ulcers/bacterial infections. I got back yesterday and was surprised to see he was still alive, but unfortunately the ulcer was still there. Today he seemed to be having trouble breathing and was floating on his side at the top of the tank. This afternoon I've found he has died :( RIP blue dwarf :(

Now I've read quite a bit about the problems people have had with Dwarfs, and my own experience, I will not be replacing them. They are truly beautiful fish but it's awful to watch them become ill and you're basically helpless to save them.

Thanks for all the advice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back