What's The Story With Lead?

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
GB
Lead, surely it's harmful? We use water conditioners to remove heavy metals. Some must leach into the water? And yet loads of plants are still supplied with it on.
So does it do fish any harm?
 
The lead is sealed in a flexible oxide layer if used and I would suspect it is not true lead and is an alloy or other element which does not hydrolse or hydrate in water and the name has stuck like lead pencils are graphite now.
 
I see, thanks for the replies :)
 
So it's completely safe for the fish, unless like me you make the mistake of giving those lead weights a good scrub before using them to weight down the food... just to make sure they were clean. Yeah, thats right, I got those dirty looking grey strips out the cupboard, scrubbed them until they were nice and shiny, and was then content that they were clean enough to use a food weights :rolleyes:

Thankfully no bad effects, but after i first read about the weights i soon stopped scrubbing them! - lol
 
I thought you were supposed to remove those "lead" ties that come wrapped around the plants... Is that not the case?
 
People used them for years without worrying about it until the latest public sensitivity the potential for lead poisoning came along. I can't say that they are not going to leach lead into the tank but it is more a concern today than the same weight would have been 20 years ago, before we became this sensitive to lead's potential. I never cared for the weights myself so I do try to find another way to keep my plants from floating around and I minimize the amount of handling that I do of that lead.
 
Lol at scrubbing the weights, the oxide layer would form pretty rapidly so scrubbing them wouldn't really matter although there would be a small release.

You can remove the lead ties if you wish, if kept on they may strangle the plant at that point preventing it from growing effectively and also the high concentration of plants in a small area can cause problems.
 
I've had them in my tank for years. the plant have grown roots around them and now i can't get them off. have not had a single case of lead poisoning and the tanks been set up for around 5 years now :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top