What's The Deal With Fish That Move Gravel Around?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
They used to do it now and again. But the other day, just after I cleaned the tank and re-decorated it. They have decided to pick up a load of gravel and stack it up against the glass. So now there is part of the tank with no gravel at the bottom and big waves of gravel on the front of the tank.

I'll put it all back to how it was but I can see them moving it again. Anyone else had this problem?

Ruddy fish! :grr:

lol - - to them, it is their home, they are going to arrange it so it suits them! lol

a lot of species do this actually. . . i find it amusing. I never know what the tank is going to look like when I wake up!

:lol: sorry to laugh,but i find that quite amusing...

My corys are the same,they dig away at the sand near the front of the tank,and every w/c day i need to scope it all back again :rolleyes:

haha,what do you do when u move in a place,put your stamp on it, your lucky you dont have my oscar pair, they have shoved a 4foot oak branch from one side of tank to other and pushed three heavy extra large pebbles across the floor, pebbles as in 12inch boulders more like :lol: and there heavy, they try there hardest to move my 2foot peices of slate but cant manage it, but funny as hell to watch them getting stressed :shifty:

haha,what do you do when u move in a place,put your stamp on it, your lucky you dont have my oscar pair, they have shoved a 4foot oak branch from one side of tank to other and pushed three heavy extra large pebbles across the floor, pebbles as in 12inch boulders more like :lol: and there heavy, they try there hardest to move my 2foot peices of slate but cant manage it, but funny as hell to watch them getting stressed :shifty:

Ill bare them in mind when I have some heavy removals to do :good: what's there rates? :lol:

That's just quality....
rofl.gif
Maybe they're trying to break the glass and escape, what's in view, anything of interest for them :)

@trout_pout, be glad you have gravel and not sand, my bristlenose plec likes to kick up sand every so often leaving my tank cloudy for an hour here and there, I like what he's done to the place though, very natural looking, much better than I could have done. My cory are my favs though, they smooth out all the pits created by my Geos :)

One of my BN plecos came along and did this in no time at all. I've no idea what gets into them sometimes. :)

BNmess.jpg

My goldfish spit the gravel all over the tank (it's more spitting out than re-arranging).

My betta a few times removed the gravel from the corners of his tank so he could sleep in them (he hasn't done it for a while now). Although I could hear him moving the gravel last week (I just couldn't see him - it was dark and I was in bed).

lol annoying or what!! but at the end of the day they have to live there so they are adding there own touches :p
and of course they know it winds you up :lol:

My g.brasiliensis are continually trying to uproot my plants and re-scape the tank to their own specifications.

They got annoyed with one of the moss balls that kept rolling into the hole they dug, and ended up ripping it to shreds! I have had to separate it, and make it into smaller moss balls.

My 4 geophagus do it all the time, I have large areas in the tank with no sand at all, every w/c I move it all back, within an hour, working together, they move it all back into large piles around the tank, exactly where they want it :rolleyes: I should give up trying, but it gives them something to do.

Most reactions

Back