What's The Biggest Fish You'd Put In A 55 Gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rolo0151

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Aquarium Measurements: 100 x 40 x 55 cm
Currently a community tank.

I like the idea of having one or poss 2 big guys in there instead.....
Tetratec ex1200 filter
Tap 7.6

Cheers

hmmm a convict maybe, i wouldnt keep a oscar or something like that.

A group of rams, but that's just me, I like several smaller fish rather than fewer big ones.

If you're looking for a centrepiece, then a pair of angels would fit the bill. If you treat them well they become magnificent when adults.

We'd love an Oscar but just haven't got the space for a bigger tank.
Has anyone got any advice on keepn electric blue jack dempsey's. seen them a few weeks back & they were beautiful fish

EBJDs would be doable in there with a small community around them. Most cichlids in that size and under are a similar situation. Things like Firemouths, Sajicas, Guianacaras, Rainbows etc. Though the Guianacaras would be best in groups.

Biggest I would go would be a Green Terror but your on the minimum side of tank sizes for them but as a wet pet they will work quite well. Same for a Rotkiel Severum (depending on source) but you again a small community is possible around them.

Wills

I fancy a couple of EBJDs with a selection of different coloured tiger barbs.
Tried the barbs in my community tanks & loved them but they were pests to everyone else in there!

Are you going to try and keep any of your existing fish? (other than the tiger barbs?)

I'm considering rehoming the existing fish & starting from fresh.

A group of 3 or 4 Leopard Bushfish could live in there for life, they slowly reach about ~14cm in the hobby (wild ones reach ~20cm), my 3 bought as youngsters 3 year years ago have grown from ~2cm SL to ~8-11cm SL (the biggest one, possibly a Ctenopoma occelatum, has now exceeded the size of the fourth one I added when these guys were ~6cm).

You could add other "African oddball" fish, mild mannered as unaggressive feeders such as...
African Butterfly Fish
A group of Synodontis nigriventris
A group of small deep bodied tetra such as Yellow Tail Congo Tetras

Most reactions

trending

Back