Whats the best Co2 System

Nix

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking for a co2 system from my 29gallon tank, I'm not very familiar with any of the hardware, so I'm looking for some help.

Co2 System #1

Would that Co2 system work well? What exactly does it run on? How easy would it be to refill/ obtain the refill "stuff"?

Co2 System #2

Or would that system work best for me? Preferably which system has the cheapest and easiest way to refill it. (same questions apply from link #1)

If anyone else has one to recommend I'm all ears, just try to keep it on the cheaper side.

hmmmm this will be interesting since i just got back from the lfs 10 min ago for a co2 system and just noticed it says for up to 20gals. so i have a 29gal so i need the same info. i guess i will take this one back in a few. glad i read the box first(after i got home)

Hi Nix

The first link is for a reactor which is only suitable if you have a co2 pressurised system and they cost big bucks, the second system im not familar with, the best thing you can do is buy a Nutrafin Hagen ladder, these dont cost much money and would be suitable for a tank your size, you can then make up your own mix with sugar and yeast which is pretty cheap.

Nutrafin ladder

Basically they just stick to the side of your tank and are very effective, lots of people here use them, its the cheapest by far to provide co2 to your tank.

danski said:
hmmmm this will be interesting since i just got back from the lfs 10 min ago for a co2 system and just noticed it says for up to 20gals. so i have a 29gal so i need the same info. i guess i will take this one back in a few. glad i read the box first(after i got home)
Instead of useing the bottle that comes with the system, use a 2 litre soda bottle and that way you will get more co2, but to be honest even with the bottle that comes with them alls you have to do is make your own mix, with sugar yeast and bicarbonate of soda, add more yeast and it will give you more co2, the premixed satchets that come with them arnt very effective, i would say you could easily achieve the correct co2 level if you play around with the yeast element of the mix, you also need a Kh test and a Ph test kit in order to test how much co2 you are adding, 30ppm is the recommended safe level for your fish and ideal for your plants.

i cant seem to find anything for over 20gals. hagen says two use multiple units if over 20gals :D i think i will take the one i got back and purchase the one on your link for up to 35gals, unless someone has some other links.

I have a 29uk tank, I use DIY mix plus 2 Nutrafin ladders, the laddder sold in the UK cost me £6.99 each. ohh plus 2x2 litre bottles of soda BUURRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP pardon me :D and some tube Hey presto CO2 bubbling away :p

id like to try my hand at diy co2 but have read that if you dont get it right you could cause harm to your plants and fish. im probably better off wit a kit. i wish i could afford those high tech expensive systems. so do i really even need co2 with 2watts per gallon. i have a 29gal with a 65 watt compact flourescent by aqualight for freshwater that has a 6500k bulb? thanks

My advice would be to get one or two of the bubble ladders from Foster and Smith, product: >link<. Then go 2x DIY CO2 2L bottles hooked up to either one or two of the ladders. This is the most efficient and affordable CO2 system.

Yes thats all you need, sugar,ordinary bread yeast, and bicarbonate of soda to use as an activator, you will find all of these in your local supermarket, mix it up and away you go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back