What’s happening to this plant

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aroc2226

Reaction score
Most here will be able to identify this plant. The other plants seem to be doing well but for some reason this one generates brown leaves.

I’ve recently started fertilizing but that has only been going on for about 2 weeks now

Attachments

• IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 27
Looks like regular java fern. The necrosis pockets (black spots) are normal unless theres a lot of them, but yellowing leaves is often a sign of either low lighting or a nutrient deficiency. Java fern grows very slowly, so even if you started doing everything right it may take a while for it to bounce back. How long ago did you start fertilizing?

Hello Aroc. This looks like a couple of things. If the plant was recently put into the tank, then there's always a time necessary for a new plant to get used to a new environment. Leaves are lost during this process. This could also be an older leaf that's no longer able to take in nutrients. Old leaves should be removed, so the plant can begin the process of replacing it. Java fern is a simple plant and doesn't need anything other than low to medium light and just the nutrients provided by the fish.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most here will be able to identify this plant. The other plants seem to be doing well but for some reason this one generates brown leaves.

I’ve recently started fertilizing but that has only been going on for about 2 weeks now

What fertilizer(s) are you using? This can make a difference.

Looks like regular java fern. The necrosis pockets (black spots) are normal unless theres a lot of them, but yellowing leaves is often a sign of either low lighting or a nutrient deficiency. Java fern grows very slowly, so even if you started doing everything right it may take a while for it to bounce back. How long ago did you start fertilizing?
Started fertilizing about 2 weeks ago

Seachem Flourish

Seachem make several different products under the Flourish name, but if this is their Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium it is good stuff. Give the plant time, it is as another member noted very slow growing.

There is still the light, but if other plants are good, not likely the issue.

Edit. Can you post a photo of the entire tank so I/we can see the plants together, something may pop out at us.

Maybe I have it wrong. I went back and read this thread again and it said brown leaves but the time before it was brown spots that were spores. Now I’m confused.

Black dots on the underside of the fronds (leaves) are spores. Black patches can be a nitrogen deficiency. Yellowing like in this present case is probably a general nutrient deficiency. I asked for a photo of the tank to see the plants together; fast growers will remove nutrients faster than slow growers, and this can cause deficiencies. Until the last week or two, apparently, fertilizer was not being added so this all holds together.

Seachem make several different products under the Flourish name, but if this is their Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium it is good stuff. Give the plant time, it is as another member noted very slow growing.

There is still the light, but if other plants are good, not likely the issue.

Edit. Can you post a photo of the entire tank so I/we can see the plants together, something may pop out at us.

29 gallon tank. Been running for about 4-5 months now.
A few plants in front are new. Less than a week

Attachments

• IMG_3006.jpeg
    IMG_3006.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 25
That is a nice aquascape. Using the Flourish Comprehensive should help.

Do you have any data on the light--type, spectrum, etc?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back