What’s growing on my guppy grass?

Seb2502

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve had this 6 gallon aquarium cycling for around 2 months. Substrate is soil capped with gravel. The plants are doing well but recently there’s some kind of algae growing on them I’m not sure what it is or if it’s harmful to the plant if anyone knows please tell me! Thanks.

Hi do you have any pictures? Or do you know what type of algae it is?

Hi do you have any pictures? Or do you know what type of algae it is?
Omg I totally forgot to put the pic.
89F86171-5B3B-4215-B049-96F9BA137161.jpeg

Looks like brown thread which is a form of diatoms it’s quite normal in new tanks but can swamp plants. Do you have many other plants in there? Some fast growers like limnophila sessiflora or Hygrophila siamensis 53b will help starve it. Lots of water changes too!

Looks like brown thread which is a form of diatoms it’s quite normal in new tanks but can swamp plants. Do you have many other plants in there? Some fast growers like limnophila sessiflora or Hygrophila siamensis 53b will help starve it. Lots of water changes too!
I have jungle val, pearl weed, guppy grass, amazon sword. It hasn’t affected the jungle val but it looks like it’s damaging everything else from the bottom up.

What is your set up like do you use fertiliser and do you know what kind of lights you have? Do you know if you have nitrate or phosphate in your tap water?

What is your set up like do you use fertiliser and do you know what kind of lights you have? Do you know if you have nitrate or phosphate in your tap water?
I don’t use fertilizers the light is a daylight led not sure on the exact name. And as for the nitrates There’s not much in my tap water but I do have soil underneath the substrate so I’m thinking maybe that’s the cause.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back