What's a Good Offer?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

noobfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Been watching this on Craigslist. They don't list a price, only saying "legitimate offers considered". I have never kept saltwater and don't know what half this is. Appears to have quite the system and from the pictures I'm not sure I could fit it all. The RO/DI system alone looks like it takes up a 5' x 5' space on the basement wall.

Question is, what is a legitimate offer?

00101_eHfpTYFdkU8z_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

1629469780649.png

Find out how old the entire set up is and what it's worth new. Then offer half or one third of that.

Get pictures of inside the cabinet and hood and look for mold.

Check the silicon (glue that holds the glass together) for air bubbles or cream or white areas. These are bad. Touch the silicon and see if it's firm but slightly squishy or hard and feels like plastic. It should be firm but slightly squishy. Hard silicon is not in the best shape.

There's a photo of what looks like the same tank only a bit smaller and has cichlids rather than marine. That's on craigs lists and may give you an idea of what a 'good offer' might be.
Post #3 here

The RO/DI system alone looks like it takes up a 5' x 5' space on the basement wall.
there's no way that a guy would have a commercial ro/di for a 120 gallon
a thing like that would cost 5x as much as the setup

Says his polyps alone would be worth over 1k at a shop. I'm sure I'm just dreaming here. Not sure how I would even move all that 115mi to my house!

Says his polyps alone would be worth over 1k at a shop. I'm sure I'm just dreaming here. Not sure how I would even move all that 115mi to my house!
yes, a used saltwater tank like this will still cost thousands and thousands
i can't comment on moving coral or even if you can move them

Corals are easy to move. Brain corals, fungia corals and other corals with a flat base can be put in a foam esky with a bit of water and moved like that. Other corals that are attached to rocks get picked up by the rock and put in buckets of water or wrapped in wet paper and put in buckets or bags with some water.

--------------------
Ask him how much he wants. If he won't say, then offer him $2000. If he says no way then ask him what his lowest price is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back