What Would You Recommend For A Beginner, 10 Gallon Honey Gourami Based

CuriouslyFishy

Reaction score
I want to get a Honey Gourami, but am not sure if I could fit 3 in one 10 gallon tank(I heard they live best in trio's) and I would also like some smaller fish like guppies around them. Do you think this would be good? I would like some middle, top, and bottom swimming fish.
Thanks in advance! :)

you could get some small corys for the bottom, tetras for the middle-top, and about the honey gouramis. yes the gouramis would fit but you could only get a small school of corys or tetras not both

I want to get a Honey Gourami, but am not sure if I could fit 3 in one 10 gallon tank(I heard they live best in trio's) and I would also like some smaller fish like guppies around them. Do you think this would be good? I would like some middle, top, and bottom swimming fish.
Thanks in advance! :)

Honey gourami is too big for a 10g IMO but a smaller type like the croaking or sparkling gourami would be ok in a 10 gallon. They do have specific water parameters so you would have to do a bit of research first to see if they would be suitable for you. As far as bottom fish, look into the smaller corydora pygmaeus or habrosus, there is a third small type, can't think of the name ATM. All 3 stay small, around 1.5 inches give or take.

Other small fish are the Otocinclus, Galaxy Rasbora, Badis, plus many more. You can also have some shrimp in the tank, the amano are easy to keep, so are cherry shrimp. Just make sure the tank is completely cycled first as they cannot handle any ammonia or nitrite. Just make sure that whatever you pick will be able to live in similar water parameters and you should have much success :good:

Good luck

I agree 10gals is too small for honeys,i had 2 Dwarf gouramis in a 10 gal & they weren't happy,now merrily active in my 55gals...

Has mentioned sparkling gouramis would be fine,maybe galaxy rasboros or ember tetras with pygmy/habrosus/hastatus corys all small corys,pygmys do shoal around mid level and hang around at the bottom,habrosus are slightely bigger than pygmys.

You better off getting shoals of small species than larger ones in the 10 gal :good:

Most reactions

Back