What Would You Put In This Tank? 63G/240L - Aquaone Ar980T

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What would you put in this tank?

• Gold Severum

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Electric Blue JD

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Something else (please post a comment)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Raticataticus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking for ideas as to what to put in this tank.

Through much research I've discovered that this is the biggest (water capacity) tank that I can fit in the spot that I have for it. It's the AquaOne980T. 

It's bigger than it looks - it looks funny because it's the 'tall' version. 

980T-Black_zpsb33183d4.jpg

Dimensions are (cm) 98 W x 70 H x 47 D

I am wanting maybe a single or two larger cichlids for it. At the moment I am pretty set on either a Gold Severum or an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. Or something else but I don't know what it is yet.

So what would you pick. Gold Severum, Electric Blue JD or something else?

And does anyone have any issues with this tank size for those types of fish? With my research I think it's okay but what do you guys think?

Do you want to plant it? If so... Forget the severum! I don't know what JDs are like with plants though.

SouthernCross said:
Do you want to plant it? If so... Forget the severum! I don't know what JDs are like with plants though.

Don't care about plants for this tank. Moreso just want a cool fish.

The trouble with tall tanks is they are better suited to tall fish, ie angels. A gold severum would be pretty large, now a rotkeil severum you could get away with as these are much smaller. I have never kept the EBJD but a normal JD I feel would be cramped in that size tank due to the footprint. Personally you want to be looking at fish that do not grow much bigger than about 8". Blue acara, yellow acara, flier, firemouth (and variations of)

How about a colony of platies and two pairs of ellioti chiclids to inhabit the bottom part?

The platies won't take over the tank as the cichlids will eat most of the fry, if you plant it appropriately, you will get enough fry to survive to keep the colony ticking over nicely.

i've had this tank and curious to know if you're planning to upgrade the filtration? i personally used an eheim 2028 as well. i kept a group of 5 pictus catfish and one oscar. the oscar was only about 10" when i did have to sell the whole setup so not sure if it's really suitable full size oscar.

I agree with the others and would say this tank is not suited for large cichlids as they cannot use the hight very well. I would go for many little fish :)

Well then do you guys think I would be better off getting the non-tall version? Which is 47 x 98 x 60cm which s 215L or 56 gallons?

And what would be a suitable single large-ish fish for this tank size?

There is nothing wrong with a tall tank, they are very good for a new world set up, you have space to have top dwelling fish, mid dwelling fish and bottom dwelling fish. However the general footprint (length x width) is not really big enough for larger cichlids, you would need to have something that would grow no bigger than 8" max

If it were mine and had to have cichlids I would go angels. If it were mine and the not tall version and I didnt have to have cichlids, I would get B. Macrostomas :p They are my favorite fish though so that may be why. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back