What Water Conditioner?!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

TenaciousG_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, really impressed with everyone's last replies to my query and I'm sorry for all the newbie questions but as i read more and more on this forum i keep getting more and more questions.
Anyway, I was told by my LFS that Stress Coat by API was the best water conditioner to get. They even have pumps for when you buy fish to put a squirt in the bag first. I use this in conjunction with Stress Zyme which has the bacteria etc... But I've seen that some people are really against Stress Coat and I don't know why :/ It is fine for me and I add some with new fish because it helps the slime coat (apparently) and also use it when doing water changes as instructed.

What water conditioners does everyone use? I was just wondering what you personally feel are the best ones and if I should swap? The only thing I can see that it doesn't do to the water is change the hardness because the water where I live is quite hard but this doesn't seem to be a problem with the aquarium. Had it since January and now fully cycled and stocked, no problems have a live plant :) only 56L though.

Thanks in advance
James

I use Interpet Tapsafe - it's fairly powerful stuff at 1 'inner capfull' (I'd guess around 2.5ml) per 45L of water. I've used Api Stress Coat in the past but the Interpet one I use now seems a lot better value for money. I've heard good stuff about Seachem Prime though :good:

I was glad to read this question was being asked by Tenacious and it looks like Prime comes out on top.

However, isn't it hard to get hold of now that Amazon and eBay won't sell it?

I've been using API Tap Water Conditioner for many years. It's a basic declorinator and has no questionable additives such as aloe. One drop will take care of one gallon of water.

APITapWaterConditioner.jpg

I was glad to read this question was being asked by Tenacious and it looks like Prime comes out on top.

There's a few websites that has 500ml for around £12 - £17.

Well worth the money as 5ml does 200 ltr's

What do you mean?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00025694O/ref=asc_df_B00025694O2047312?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00025694O&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6674191982068176220&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Why would they stop selling it in Europe?

What is so great about Prime that no other brand can do? From reading about it on here it sounds like it's the only acceptable brand (or Seachem are all paying you to advertise and rave about it) and yet I don't see a single thread about sick/dead fish where someone says "Ah, your problem is that you used the wrong water conditioner!" How do you know Prime is better than, say, Aquasafe? Will all the tropical fish in the UK develop white spot and swim bladder problems now it's hard to acquire?
Not that I'm sceptical about it being an effective product, but I have yet to see any evidence presented here of what makes it superior. Just people saying "it's the best".

Bugdozer

I'll think you'll find that because 5ml treats 200 litres of water AND we in the UK were able to buy it online at discounted prices, it worked out cheaper to use than any other product - particularly in a cycled tank. People were buying it as it saved money.

Now that - as I understand it courtesy of a thread on here - the UK importer or possibly Seachem themselves have pulled the plug on letting it be sold online at discounted prices AND thereby damaging LFS retail sales in the UK, folks are now going to have to find another product.

But that as I understand it is the crux of the issue as regards Prime.
That ban by the way also applies to any other Seachem product.

Is Seachem Prime superior to any other? Personally I wouldn't know.

David

I've been using API Tap Water Conditioner for many years. It's a basic declorinator and has no questionable additives such as aloe. One drop will take care of one gallon of water.

Nice to hear of someone else who uses API Tapwater conditioner. At 1 drop per 3.8 litres (US gallon) a bottle lasts for ages. And like inchworm, I also prefer a dechlorinator that doesn't have aloe vera. True, it doesn't detoxify ammonia, but if your water company uses chlorine rather than chloramine it doesn't matter. Just a basic water conditioner that removes chlorine and detoxifies heavy metals.
My 118ml bottle cost £5.60 and will treat 7174 litres. Bigger bottles work out cheaper.

Well I can't seem to find seachem prime on the Internet and that's where I do most of my shopping so if anyone can find a link in the UK I would be most grateful, otherwise, what else then? Will I be fine with the stress coat for now?

Well I can't seem to find seachem prime on the Internet and that's where I do most of my shopping so if anyone can find a link in the UK I would be most grateful, otherwise, what else then? Will I be fine with the stress coat for now?

Try the following sites:

Aqua Essentials

Fish and Fins

SeaPets

The Seachem Ban only applies to eBay and Amazon who were underselling the LFS who were losing business.

There are many Online Retailers in the UK still selling Seachem products.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

P.S

First Post, Hello all :)

Most reactions

Back