What type of snail is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

STEVIE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks to you experts i know what 2 types of snails are inhabiting my tank.Can anyone identify this 3rd type?
30741Picture_002-med.jpg

That looks like lymnaea auricularia rubiginosa which is a common snail found everywhere here in Malaysia. They mainly eat algae, but may be a pest when they start breeding like crazy, and can quickly overrun a tank.

P.T.

Looks like a pond snail to me, if it is (i'm not sure, PT is probably right with his guess) you're doomed :lol: I have hundreds of those, and I'm sooo happy :rolleyes: Not really, they're just there because I have a false hope of finding dwarf puffers :( :p

EDIT: Even if it isn't a pond snail, it seems it would everun the tank anyway, try to get rid of them unless you have algae problems :)

Dwarfs said:
i'm not sure, PT is probably right with his guess
Hey, what can i say, i have the Encyclopaedia of Malaysian Animals in my lap, and that pic fits the pic of that species here pretty much exactly :lol:

P.T.

Thanks PT. :)
These little guys appeared the same time as what i now know are malaysian trumpet snails so the location is spot on. B)
They are not a problem so far as i've only spotted about 6 of them.

I found a website that is great for identifing stow-away snails (theones that sneak in with new plants lol)..as I like to affectionately call them.

http://www.applesnail.net/content/snails_various.php

I bought some new plants a month or so ago..and have started to notice snails emerging. I am thinking therie were eggs on the plants, although I did find one baby snail (omg it was sooo tiny and cute), after washing my plants before putting in my tank, that I plunked in lol.

I have some Physella heterostropha halei
HtrivolvisU150.jpg

and some Planorbella trivolvis
Phethalei300.jpg

lol what I find funny is I've always heard the phrase "slow as a snail" lol well these little buggers aren't slow...it's hilarious to watch them race around the tank...they are like little cars speeding around all over the tank (especially the glass). :lol:

Why is it people think snails are bad? I know too much of a good thing can be bad...but you can just pick them out when you have too many...can't you? I heard betta's like snails, so if mine get to infested..I'm sure I have 6 hungry guys and 3 hungry gals that would love to help me out lol.

What is the bad side of having snails? I'm new to snails (haven't ever had any except these sstow-aways)..so I'm starting to get very curious as to why I always see people expressing that they don't care for them?

Most are no problem so long as you control the numbers. They can pollute he water when they die, especially if you have loads and loads of them. But I think its fun to watch them whizzing around!

if they get out of hand and you have the room, get khuli loaches... i sware by them... even my SA puffer cant keep up, but the khulis eat the eggsacs... eating 1 eggsac is like eating 50 of those little buggers!

That snail doesn't look like any Lymnaea (also called pond snails) I've seen, it has thin tentacles, Lymnaeidae have flat and triangular, like ears. The shell shape is also wrong and it looks like it has a trapdoor (operculum, like apple snails have). It isn't a Physid (also called pond, bladder and tadpole snails) or Planorbid (flat, disc like) either because of the operculum.

I think it is some sort of Viviparid, from family Viviparidae, trapdoor snails. It looks like a baby, so it might double or triple it's size still. They are livebearers, but have separate sexes. They don't reproduce that fast. They are rather common in US.

VivGeorgianus75.jpg

VivIntertextus75.jpg

Well they are getting bigger and you are right they do have a trapdoor to seal themselves in.I've yet to see one on a plant as they are day active but always crawling around on the sand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back