What type of gourami? Honey or thicklip?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marnold00

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Evening all,

A month ago i acquired the gourami in the attached pic. No idea on the type (was hoping for cherry barbs......). Cant decide if its a honey or a thicklip. Its about 1.5 inches long. I think female too. I just think its a bit of a funny shape for a honey gourami - more torpedo shaped than I'd expect.

If you guys agree it is a female honey, then would it be ok to add one of the more traditional male honey gouramis? Or is mixing like this frowned upon?

Attachments

• 20170418_200041.jpg
    20170418_200041.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 245
Honey, very delicate. Idk if its a female but it maybe, I wouldn't keep more than the one.

In my opinion this is a colorvariaty (probably hybrid) of the T.labiosa.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Haha so one vote honey gourami one vote thicklip ... Could it be a cross between the two? I still stand by the fact it doesnt have the rounded body shape of a honey gourami. But then it is rather small for a thicklip. I guess in 6 months time itll be obvious

It looks like a tiny little guy whatever it is, still young. If it is a honey you can add more honey gourami provided the tank is large enough as they actually seem to enjoy being in groups. A male to female ration of 1:2-3 seems to be the popular combo. Idk if I can say the same for thick lips, I'm not too familiar with them.

Agreed, time will tell it's a thick lip or honey (or cross).

I think I'm not going to risk adding others incase it is indeed a thicklip just because of the size of them. My tank is right on the minimum size limit according to that seriously fish link.

Tis a handsome little guy/gal though! Very interactive with me too. Almost as interactive as my apisto that i used to own!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back