What type of gourami have I got?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rachel1320

Reaction score
Got these 2 a few weeks ago, getting on great with the other fish in there, but what type are they? I've googled and it's showing honeys, are they both that? Very curious, thank you 🙂

Attachments

• PXL_20230623_111824885.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20230623_111824885.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20230623_111655609.PORTRAIT~3.jpg
    PXL_20230623_111655609.PORTRAIT~3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 34
Left is a male Gold Gourami (Trichopodus trichopsis) which may become a tyrant. Right is a female(?) Honey.

Ahh thank you for the reply, I'll have to keep an eye on the male if he turns out to be, he seems peaceful at the moment, but defo gonna be keeping a good eye of him in future just incase, yeah I presumed the left was a honey but has the slight black striped along her middle, so wasn't sure, and thanks I was gonna ask if male or female, much appreciated 🙂

You want to get rid of the gold gourami now because it could kill the other gourami when it matures.

All labyrinth fishes are territorial to some degree and you only want one species of gourami or Betta per tank.

The gold gourami is a colour variety of three spot gourami, one of the most aggressive of the gourami species. Can you take him back and swap him for another honey gourami?

With yellow honeys I found that females often have a broken dark line from nose to tail as in your photo (the one ending in 609) while males tend to be more orange than yellow at the tail end of the body.

Yes they would certainly take him back, am I best off keeping the female honey on her own by herself or swapping the gold male for another female honey? If that makes sense, thanks so much for info, I'm so glad I know now before it's too late

Either a male or female honey should be OK unless the tank is very small. Honeys are peaceful - for gouramis. A male will chase a female if he is in the mood to breed, and in a very small tank there's nowhere for the female to go. My first honeys were in a 60 cm long, 60 litre tank and they were OK in the size.
The female can also be kept alone.

There in a 190litre tank, I'll see if they have another honey today, if not I'll leave her on her own, thank you 🙂

If you do get a male, I would also get another female or two, so that any chasing and aggro will be spread out and your lone female won’t be bullied.

I completely agree with others to return the "gold gourami" ASAP. This fish is aggressive by nature, and this can be obvious soon, or days or even weeks later, and sometimes suddenly overnight. It is kinder to the gourami to return it before things get more involved.

Bit of an update, I've returned the male gourami and there gonna give me a ring in the next few days once another female honey gourami becomes available, so hopefully the 2 female honeys will get on and the future will be a peaceful one 🤞

Our of idle curiosity, which shop sold you the gouramis? (Your location is North East UK and I'm in Teesside which I why I ask :) )

Not very often you find people near were you live is it on a forum, it's a place called Cleveland country store, in brotton, 5 min drive from saltburn, 10-15 mins from Redcar, they have quite a variety 🙂

Ah, I'm further west than you, I've been to Tropical House in Redcar in the past but not to Brotton. My nearest fish shop is Maidenhead Aquatics in Dobbies, Stockton. Not that I use it much as I prefer other shops. I'll have to try the Brotton shop :)

Ahh yeah I've been to Dobbies in Stockton a few times I got my shrimps from simply pets (smiths pets) at protrack lane in Stockton they have loads of tropicals too, and only a half a hour drive so not too far, it's just Cleveland county store is 2 mins up the road 😂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back