What Type Of Co2?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JasonMichael

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've had my aquarium upgrade installed for a month now and there appears to be some slight browning on the plants and some black algae, I've just started to use some ferts but the guy at the LFS said I should look into using Co2 (all there displays and setups had CO2 and wow, they looked amazing, could see the 'pearling' and everything!).

Now my question is, what on earth do I do or what do I buy, what is reliable etc... DIY seems a bit tricky, I've seen pressurized Co2 bottles and disposable bottles, I have NO IDEA of what to look for or what to buy and to connect this part with that part, if anyone could please kindly help with some really brain dead advice of what to do that would be great!

Thanks!

OK, the simple answer to this question is always no. You don't need CO2, but you may want CO2.

The simplest way of looking at it is, the more light you give, the more the plants will want CO2 and nutrients, so the more of those you'll need to give. Taken to one extreme, with little to no light, you need to supplement neither, but you won't get that luxurious planted look.

As you add more light, you need more CO2 and fertiliser (and flow to spread it around the tank). If the tank you're talking about is the 300l in your signature then you'll struggle with DIY set ups, you're more likely to want a pressurised system.

A word of warning though, the more you add complexity, the more you need to stay on top of things as there are more and more things that can go wrong. Hi tech planted tanks are the closest thing we have in freshwater to marine levels of complexity, where you need to balance maintenance, chemicals, light, flow and livestock to get the best results.

OK, the simple answer to this question is always no. You don't need CO2, but you may want CO2.

The simplest way of looking at it is, the more light you give, the more the plants will want CO2 and nutrients, so the more of those you'll need to give. Taken to one extreme, with little to no light, you need to supplement neither, but you won't get that luxurious planted look.

As you add more light, you need more CO2 and fertiliser (and flow to spread it around the tank). If the tank you're talking about is the 300l in your signature then you'll struggle with DIY set ups, you're more likely to want a pressurised system.

A word of warning though, the more you add complexity, the more you need to stay on top of things as there are more and more things that can go wrong. Hi tech planted tanks are the closest thing we have in freshwater to marine levels of complexity, where you need to balance maintenance, chemicals, light, flow and livestock to get the best results.

:/ gah! lol, alright - would you suggest to shorten the length of time which my lights are on, use the ferts and see if the plants improve? I was looking at the pressured systems but have no idea of what im actually looking for. My plants are growing however, there just a bit brown/ a tiny bit of black algae...

Any suggestions as to what type of Co2 set up is good or required for a medium planted 350l tank? I have never used Co2 before so need some help. Thanks :)

Black algae is normally BBA which is caused by fluctuating CO2, this can happen if doing water changes with lights on as the amount of CO2 in tap water can vary but is usually a lot. Pressurised CO2 is better as your tank is quite big so have a look at the pinned subjects at the top of this forum about fire extinguisher CO2 as its cheap and simple. :)

Black algae is normally BBA which is caused by fluctuating CO2, this can happen if doing water changes with lights on as the amount of CO2 in tap water can vary but is usually a lot. Pressurised CO2 is better as your tank is quite big so have a look at the pinned subjects at the top of this forum about fire extinguisher CO2 as its cheap and simple. :)

I had a look at that actually, can the fire extinguisher Co2 be dangerous? haha, looks to be around $200AUD, if I was to go a normal pressurized CO2 system (not using the fire extinguisher) do you recommend anything?

I've seen a few of these around, what do u think of this? http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3799&catID=58

Once I set it up and get it going I just need to change the bottles every now and again and that's it? How long does a bottle usually last? I know they came in different sizes but due to the cost of replacements just wanted to have an idea :)

Couldn't say tbh mate as different size aquariums and different diffusion methods require more or less CO2, using an inline atomizer uses the least CO2 of all diffusers as they have a very high percentage of diffusion so what ever you decide one of them would be safest bet for saving money. I use FE's with no problems but I keep mine bolted to the inside of my tank cupboard so it wont fall over, that's the most dangerous part of using a FE.

Couldn't say tbh mate as different size aquariums and different diffusion methods require more or less CO2, using an inline atomizer uses the least CO2 of all diffusers as they have a very high percentage of diffusion so what ever you decide one of them would be safest bet for saving money. I use FE's with no problems but I keep mine bolted to the inside of my tank cupboard so it wont fall over, that's the most dangerous part of using a FE.

Hmm interesting.. did you happen to go to the link I provided?

Looks ok, reactors are good diffusers but if I were you I'd check the size of the regulator thread and check if its fits FE's in oz, that way you can save a load of money and connect the kit to one. Also make sure you have ferts containing N&P as well as micro nutrients for setting up CO2 as the plants will use up your phosphates and nitrates very quick with CO2.

@ Ps3Steveo what fert would you suggest? a cheap option would be good. :D :D

I've done a couple of videos on CO2 setup you may find them useful :D

Aquarium CO2 System for Less than £60 - Fire Extinguisher

Aquarium CO2 System Fire Extinguisher Tutorial

Looks ok, reactors are good diffusers but if I were you I'd check the size of the regulator thread and check if its fits FE's in oz, that way you can save a load of money and connect the kit to one. Also make sure you have ferts containing N&P as well as micro nutrients for setting up CO2 as the plants will use up your phosphates and nitrates very quick with CO2.

So once you add CO2 you want to have ferts containing N&P? I sure hope it doesn't affect the fish haha. Obviously not. I'm really nervous about the whole co2 thing as I've never done it before, kind of daunting as I don't know what each part does etc..., looks hard but thats why you guys are here helping me lol.

-

I've done a couple of videos on CO2 setup you may find them useful :D

Aquarium CO2 System for Less than £60 - Fire Extinguisher

Aquarium CO2 System Fire Extinguisher Tutorial

Thanks Ross, I had a watch and it seems pretty simple, I just don't know what all these different parts do and what purpose it serves in the whole process... is the Co2 injection automatic in the tank or do you have to turn it off and on manually when it tells you it needs more? (i've seen like a colour thing you can get to put inside the tank which tells you if the levels are low, perfect or too high?) Sorry for the ignorance, i really have no idea with Co2 lol, slowly learning!

I'll give you a quick description of everything then :D
+Fire extinguisher / CO2 Cartridge - Contains the CO2 gas at high pressure
+Regulator - Controls the amount of CO2 being pushed through the airline into the tank
+Solenoid (optional) - Allows for the CO2 to be released automatically using a timer so you could set the CO2 to only come on when the lights are on
+CO2 Proof Tubing - Similar to normal airline which is used in airfilters and airstones but it is CO2 proof so you won't get any leaks
+Bubble counter - Gives a visual way of monitoring how many bubbles per minute/sec (bpm/s) are being injected
+Diffuser/Atomiser - Like an airstone but breaks the CO2 into finer bubbles that can be absorbed by the water. Most only work with pressurised systems rather than the common yeast DIY systems

My advise would be only use a pressurized system like described above I've tried the yeast and the small disposable systems and they are unreliable. Also the disposable systems end up costing a lot more as those small canister don't last long at all.

I'll give you a quick description of everything then :D
+Fire extinguisher / CO2 Cartridge - Contains the CO2 gas at high pressure
+Regulator - Controls the amount of CO2 being pushed through the airline into the tank
+Solenoid (optional) - Allows for the CO2 to be released automatically using a timer so you could set the CO2 to only come on when the lights are on
+CO2 Proof Tubing - Similar to normal airline which is used in airfilters and airstones but it is CO2 proof so you won't get any leaks
+Bubble counter - Gives a visual way of monitoring how many bubbles per minute/sec (bpm/s) are being injected
+Diffuser/Atomiser - Like an airstone but breaks the CO2 into finer bubbles that can be absorbed by the water. Most only work with pressurised systems rather than the common yeast DIY systems

My advise would be only use a pressurized system like described above I've tried the yeast and the small disposable systems and they are unreliable. Also the disposable systems end up costing a lot more as those small canister don't last long at all.

That was exactly what I was looking for haha thanks heaps!! So, if I have this right, you have the CO2 source lets say the fire extinguisher, then there is the regulator attached to it, the regulator has Co2 proof tubing connected which then connects into the bubble counter then that connects into a diffuser/atomiser which sits inside the tank and then releases it into the water?

The pressurized systems seem much more worth it if doing it right by your experience and many others. I've had a look at the Dupla CO2 Permanent Test, which measures the Co2 in the water, do you know if these are these any good/reliable?

Use a drop checker, there's a thread explaining them pinned in this forum, so long as you don't over dose the CO2 it wont affect the fish mate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back